Saturday, October 9, 2010

Navajo Lake Ride

What genius decided it would be fun to mountain bike at 9,000 feet of elevation? Why, that would be me. We drove back out route 14 to the Navajo Lake trail. The section we rode was really nice, it was a very pleasant trail. Unfortunately it was at 9,000 feet! I thought I would suffocate on every climb.

The aspens up there are just beautiful. I was talking to a woman at the trail head who said we should really do the Thunder Mountain ride. This is a cut and paste from their web site.

Most riders do Thunder Mountain as a downhill with a shuttle. For this option, leave a car at the lower trailhead, then go to the Coyote Hollow trailhead at elevation 7800 feet. You'll climb slowly to 8200 feet, then begin a serious downhill. One of the ride's unforgettable moments is the 1/4 mile along the top of a sharp fin projecting from the valley floor 300 feet below, with rock falling away at 70 degrees on each side.

I obviously project an air of competence I do not currently possess.

No comments:

Post a Comment