Wednesday, May 1, 2019

More Rocks, More Eggs and a Power Tool

Yesterday the guys from Copper Standard came to deploy eight tons of rock.  It was supposed to happen Monday, but the supplier called to say he didn't have the rock.  So it slid one day.  It took the three of them about 3.5 hours.  We would never finish, we would perish.


Each rock has to be picked up and placed in the wheel barrow, they're too big and heavy to shovel until you get to the bottom of the pile where they're smaller.  Plus, David is arranging the order in which the rocks get flung over the wall, so there is a plan as to which rocks go where.  These guys are so good.  Look at the size of the rock center photo.  That is a two person rock for Jim and Allison.


While they were doing rocks, we were in the back and side yard with the blower dealing with leaves from the giant messy tree.  Monday's microburst knocked down a lot of vegetation.  The blower works better than a rake on the gravel.  While we were back there we saw this in the giant messy tree.  It's a dove's nest.  Have you ever seen such a terrible excuse for a nest?  It'll be a miracle if the babies don't fall out.



I'm not nearly as invested in dove babies as I was the hummingbirds.

Today we went to the gym.  It was interesting, there was a power lifter dude there.  He kept looking at himself in the mirror.  When he was lifting he would grunt and sort of talk to himself.  When he used a machine, he'd leave the weight on 200 lbs.  I seriously doubt if he was doing that much weight with his lats.  People are so interesting.  And he had really ugly tattoos.  Since he was hogging a machine we wanted, we went and tried some new ones in a room that is almost never used.  We found some good stuff that we're going to keep doing.  We must use it or lose it.

After that, it was on to Home Depot.  Jim was laughing at me, I want a reciprocating saw.  I have no use for jewelry, I want power tools.  We got this one.  It's battery powered.  It's a little too heavy for me to use one handed if my arm is extended.  It was, however, a screaming deal.  The website showed it as being on sale, but the store did not.  Jim tracked down an employee who ended up giving us the sale price, even though he was not convinced that was the true price. 

That's it!  Rocks, dove love and power tools in the Old Pueblo.

9 comments:

  1. That DOES look like a very precarious bird nest. And yet, there are so many doves in the world! So I guess they must manage!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Ryobi Reciprocating saw is my most used tool. We use it like crazy cutting medium branches and also to cut out roots from the too many small oak shrubs in our yard. Now I am researching upgrading our leaf blower as we have too many leaves as all the oaks are changing out their leaves and my basic Ryobi 18v blower is not up to the task. Home depot is getting more of my money, which is the same with your guys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our neighbors in North Carolina had one like this. We had never seen so many leaves as we had there. It was nightmarish.

      https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/cub-cadet-js-1150-jet-sweep-leaf-blower-1153443?cm_mmc=feed-_-GoogleShopping-_-Product-_-1153443&gclid=CjwKCAjwqqrmBRAAEiwAdpDXtMRgKgL3IWljnbJ3hVz7Xo7HpAN_mZVXOId9ZPX1XiwWnu6zXhGbMRoCLzwQAvD_BwE

      We have a corded Toro blower which is pretty good, and cost way less.

      Delete
  3. Right up my alley girl ... I LOVE power tools!! Dove don't make good nests at all. They've been in my palm tree every year. Several times the eggs have fallen out. I guess that's so we're not overrun with dove.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah, doves make the flimsiest nests. I'm not into jewelry either. what I want is a table saw.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am endlessly impressed with women who wield power tools. This is my fantasy of myself, but I haven't managed to make it real yet. Go, you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My knowledge of birds is the flimsiest, but I do know doves build shite nests. That notwithstanding, I had plenty of doves at the old house. They were OK, they were ground feeders, and I appreciated their clean up after the feeder slobs threw down what they weren't interested in.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved this post. I hope the doves make it, but you are right about that nest. Very lazy! Love your power tool. I'm not the power tool user in the family, for the most part, but I do appreciate them. I like the occasional pair of cheap, artisan-made earrings, but in general am not at all a jewelry gal either.

    ReplyDelete