Monday, January 9, 2023

Walking at Dove Mountain

Greetings!  We left the condo today for some exercise.  The fatigue is still with us. We went up to Dove Mountain to stroll along the Wild Burro Trail.  There is flat walking to be had, which was the right choice.  It's beautiful out there, but it is far.  We need to get stronger so we can do the butt kicking hikes that are close to the condo.



We went up the stairs for about three minutes and decided that was a terrible idea. 


Going back to the house we could see there is still some snow on the mountains, which is surprising.

We're better.  Yesterday was the last day for the anti-virals.  I had the terrible metallic taste in my mouth from Paxlovid, which is gone, and happy I am about that.  Jim's still full of mucus, I never had that; actually I was never really sick except for the fatigue.  Since I got treated the day after I tested positive, I lucked out, Jim not so much.  The fatigue improves daily, we're making an effort not to over do and get sick again.   Tomorrow I think we'll retest and see what it says.

Because we tested at CVS, we were reported to the AZ Dept of Health.  Jim spoke to them today.  As soon as he made it clear that we're not residents, the lady on the phone completely lost interest.  She said she would notify Spokane, but without an address for Washington, I'm not sure what she was going to accomplish.  I don't plan on calling, there's no point.

If you wonder who eats at Waffle House, it's primarily blue collar workers, shift workers and people who don't have a lot of money.  They do a big business after the bars close.  They never close.  During natural disasters where utilities are out, they sent in "jump teams" with generators, propane and water to get open as quickly as possible.  So, first responders and locals have somewhere to eat.  The number of open Waffle Houses is used by FEMA as an indicator of how restoration efforts are going.  If you google on "who eats at Waffle House" there are many answers.  I didn't know about the jump teams.

That's it!  I have no more to contribute.

6 comments:

  1. 37paddington:
    Glad you’re both feeling better. The fatigue does linger, but good that you’re being proactive about getting back in the swing with exercise. I remember that just singing with my choir for 90 mins the week after I recovered from Covid made me so exhausted I came home and climbed into bed. But now you’ll be immune for a while so there’s that silver lining.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I'm glad you're feeling better. Did you manage the whole hike?

    I've been walking outside for 30-40 minutes and my feet are sore again. Dammit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a beautiful area. I find it a little amusing that you moved away only to come back on vacation. Glad y'all are feeling better. I've eaten at Waffle House.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you're progressing....I didn't realize you had it too! Tucson looks great, I miss visiting there. I hope you'll be able to enjoy your time now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel like I've traveled back in time, seeing cactus pictures on your blog again! I'm glad you're feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such beautiful blue skies and scenery. Glad you're both feeling a bit better and at least getting out for easy hiking. Tough being sick on vacation! As for Waffle House, the only time I remember going to one was yes, after the bars closed when I was in college. Nothing like a "nutty waffle" (as the waitress called it) to soak up the alcohol! Just knowing how many people go there after bar closings helps explain the number of fights that break out there.

    ReplyDelete