Wednesday, January 4, 2023

The Sun is Out in Tucson

The fun-o-meter on vacay is still not all that high, but it is off zero.  The sun is out, the skies are blue, which always helps a person's mood.  Today we took the car in for an over due service.  Oil, tire rotation, and who knows what else.  We had been promised a loaner (Lexus always has loaners) and then were told we'd have to wait.  Nope, either find a car or we'll reschedule.  They found a car.  It's very low slung, I'm having to haul myself up and out of the door.

Then is was off to the furniture rental place.  AirBnBs are sort of known for their crappy furniture.  When we were in Prague we had a giant sofa that was so hard that it hurt after awhile to sit on it.  This furniture is worse.  I'm in the chair, and for some reason they decided to put protruding things on the arms that are very uncomfortable to rest on.  The chair is also butt sprung, so I'm sitting on a large decorative pillows.  The pillows on the table are for our feet to rest on.  The loveseat is less terrible, but the seat pan is too deep, and a large pillow behind the back is required.  So, I've rented a recliner.  All they had for me to test sit were models that operate with a control, and it has the capability to lift a person to their feet.  Apparently if you want a recliner, you must be old and too infirm to haul your butt out of a chair.

Then we were off to Target where we saw this truck parked in front.  The security guards were carrying Glocks (9 mm handgun) and tasers.  Their outfits mimicked those worn by Customs and Border Patrol.  They were wearing body armor.  This does not fill me with confidence, one wonders how much training in de-escalation they have had.



They are the International Protective Services.  Se the red lettering on the back most side window?  It says "armed response unit."  Like this is a good thing!


So.... that was interesting.

Monday night it finally occurred to us that maybe it's not a cold.  This is Jim's test.  I tested negative.  Then we read that if you have excessive snot, or blood in your nose from excessive nose blowing, you'll get a false positive.  Still in denial!

Tuesday morning we went down to CVS for a lab test, which takes 24 to 48 hours.  Jim was rapidly reaching the end of his window for anti-virals. So when we got home we did two more home tests.  Jim's made the red line in seconds, I got a faint pink line after 15 minutes.  The doctor's office we used to go to saw Jim at 1:00 for an outdoor appointment.  They looked at our tests and prescribed antivirals for us both,  even though I had not really been seen.  So that was cool.  Getting them filled was painful, we had a guy running the drive through window who was unaware that the government pays for these drugs and wanted us to pay for them (Paxlovid is $500, Lagevrio is $259).  Jim's was ready, mine was not, so we had to go through the line twice.  When Walgreen's melts down, they do an excellent job of it.

Then when we got home, Jim announced that he'd lost his sense of smell and taste.  This is really bad.  Jim's job is to decide if the milk has gone bad, or if the cold cuts are past their good date.  Now I will have to do these things.  If I lose mine, then we're in real trouble.  Some people's senses come back 3 or 4 weeks after the worst part of the Covid.  Other people take 18 to 24 months to recover, and some never do.  We're hoping for the best case scenario.

How did we get this?  No idea.  After the Christmas Eve day brunch we literally did not leave the house, because I did not want to risk exposure.  Jim started feeling bad late on Thursday night, so it may have come from a neighbor  at brunch, although they all looked good.  Or it could have been aerosols hanging in an elevator, the breakfast areas, who knows.  We were always masked, but no one else was. 

People have quit masking, I don't understand it.  Currently XBB.1.5 is sweeping the nation.  It's even more contagious than the older variants, but it is less likely to kill the host than Delta was.  However, research is telling us that even a mild case of Covid can cause T cell exhaustion, which means your immune system is not what it was, and it's not likely to recover.  Long Covid remains a risk.  If everyone would mask, we'd all be a lot better off.  But - Muh Freedumb!

Finally, we were wearing N95s everywhere we went, we aired out the car before turning it over to the dealer, and so have attempted to mitigate risk for all of the non-maskers. 

10 comments:

  1. Commiserations on the wee red lines...get well soon both.
    We are still masking and hoping here x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still masking here except for when we dine out which is .,..never. So sorry you both got red/pink lines, not a good ride after you long ride! I assume that you are warm and that there is light/blue sky- vitamin D. Glad you made it all that way relatively OK! We are expecting gnarly weather tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a cold but will continue to test for C. I still don't understand why it's such a big deal to wear a mask. I prefer a KN95 although I do have N95s--perhaps I should up my game? So sorry that you got this d*mn virus, especially since you've been more careful than 99% of the population.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 37paddington:
    Ah bummer. But sooner or later must of us will get Covid. I hope you both bounce back soon. Please do keep us posted on how you’re doing. If you can, sit in the sun on your deck there. I heard vitamin D is good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well that sucks but it's better to know than not know. I am curious to know why a Target would need armed guards, it's not Tiffanys.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well.....at least the sun is out. Good luck on your Covid journey, I hope it's a short and relatively easy one. Keep us all posted.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, that sucks. Marc and I need to go get our most recent boosters. I've been putting it off because we don't go anywhere and live in a small town but people aren't masking here either. Well, me but only in certain stores. I guess I'll have to start wearing one in every store. Glad the sun is out at least. And you can rent a comfortable chair.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am sorry. The minute I read Jim had cold symptoms, my mind went to covid, just because it's still so prevalent; I have several Facebook friends who just got it around the holidays. I have read that the loss of smell and taste are less likely with the current variants, so sorry to hear that Jim is experiencing that and hope you don't. I hate that your time in Tucson, which you so carefully planned for, is starting out this way. Hope you'll both be back in the saddle(s), literally, very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My husband and I mask everywhere. Always have. My DIL got covid on 12/23 and my son on 12/28..Both had had boosters and all that. When he went in for a scheduled MRI on 1/2, the line on the check-in page where it asks you if you have been exposed was already checked NO by the personnel!!! And, yesterday I went for a pre-op for my eyelid and they did not even ask!!! I swear, pretty soon if you are wearing a mask you will have to pay $25 to go in the grocery store!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Somehow I missed this post. That "Armed Response Unit" is alarming! They're just private security guards? Cop wanna-bes, in other words.

    ReplyDelete