Monday, January 2, 2023

In Tucson

We're in Tucson.  As of this writing, satisfaction with the vacay is pegging zero on the fun-o-meter.  Jim is sicker than a dog.  There is cough, snot and now a sore throat.  Thus far I have not come down with it, but I wouldn't let him in the car with me today, he had to stay home.  It's cold, cloudy and windy.  I am so happy I brought my rain jacket with me, it has a hood; we have not yet found the umbrellas in the car.  Tomorrow is supposed to be bad, then the warm up will start.  

Food prices here are interesting.  When we moved to Spokane, I was shocked, I say shocked, at food prices.   In Tucson, Safeway is selling eggs for $10 a dozen.  Basha's has them for $7 or $8.  Apparently there were months that there were no eggs available at all.  I guess eggs are back, but still very expensive.  This is because of having to cull flocks of chickens due to the avian flu outbreak.   Having said that, it seems over all food prices are higher than Spokane.  We're in a wealthy part of Tucson, so I wonder if prices are high because of where we are.  Perhaps we should go back to the south end and shop there.  

The drive from Kingman was kind of awful.   We drove through squalls the likes of which I have never seen.  The ruts in the road on a downgrade (!) were full of water.  We survived, and the rain slacked off when it was time to unload the car.  There was this, however.  This was taken off our deck.


That's it!  That's all I've got.

7 comments:

  1. Stunning!
    It would be interesting to compare prices in different areas..I wonder if things are less expensive in poorer areas?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to look up Tucson on the map. I didn't realize how far south it was. The rainbow is beautiful but it sounds like it was hell to get there. Hope your hubby is feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How awful it must have been for Jim traveling through that downpour feeling as poorly as he was. Do you think it's covid? Has he tested? I hope he feels better soon, and that the vacay meter starts running the other way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another blogger was also mentioning the price of eggs. I'm glad you explained it because I was shocked to hear they cost so much. Ten dollars a dozen is beyond insanity. Nice rainbow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh dear, it does sound like a not-so-great start of the vaca. I do hope Jim is feeling better soon, the rain stops, and you get the sunshine and heat.
    I thought our price of $4.50 for a dozen eggs was bad but $6-10 is ridiculous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am flummoxed by the egg situation since I've never had trouble getting them and they don't seem that expensive. $2.99 per dozen for large eggs. If they got too expensive, I have friends with chickens. Hope Jim feels better--I have a cold which is miserable but not debilitating. Yet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting that eggs are so expensive there. I just paid $3.99 for a very fancy dozen at the food co-op, which I thought was quite good, especially for the fancy ones (free-range type, brown, etc.) I am sorry Jim is so sick and hope you don't get it.

    ReplyDelete