Wednesday, October 27, 2021

The Partial Week in Review

Greetings Earthlings.  How have you been?  We have been doing stuff in the house and yard. 

The TDS fiber folks have been extremely busy in the neighborhood down the hill from us manually digging holes in peoples' front yards and using equipment to pull conduit through the dirt.  Eventually there will be fiber for high speed internet running through the conduit.  Since we are in an HOA controlled neighborhood, we all had to vote on getting fiber.  We voted yes, but I haven't decided if I'm actually going to sign up.  Their introductory pricing is only good for one year, and then the prices go up.  They make it very difficult to run cost comparisons with Comcast.  Their sales rep for our area is a complete and total ass hat and I would prefer to never speak to him again.

This is the pre-staging of the conduit.


Look mid photo and you can see one of the workers standing in a hole he has dug for the conduit.  That is all manual labor. Allegedly they will be shoving our conduit under the streets.  One wonders how they will do in the yards that have the massive basalt boulders.  One also wonders if they will break the irrigation systems.

We have spent some time in the basement assembling a universal gym.  It has a lot of parts.  The video they provide is animated, with no words spoken.  There are no words in the assembly manual, either.  There was a pretty good video on You tube done by a speaking human, my only complaint was that he did the turning of tools in time lapse, and some of those things really deserved to be in real time - like pulling the cables, for example.

There it is, back in the corner of the basement.  That giant room is getting smaller.

Yesterday we finally got closure on the blackout curtains for the primary bedroom.  After buying, and returning, several fairly expensive panels, I tried Walmart.  Yes, Walmart.  Two panels for $39 and they do the job.  They're 83 5/8 inches long, both panels are the same length and we're declaring victory.  The neighbor's security lights have been vanquished.


Today we rode in the woods from the Wilber trail head.  It was good, we've found some more single track trails which are fun to ride because they are not terrifying like so many of the trails in Tucson.  On the way there one drives by a horse boarding operation.  It's fairly large. 



There is also an air strip behind a trail head up the road.  It's rudimentary, there is no segmented circle (which is a wind direction indicator) nor is there a wind sock. 

We arrived at the Wilber trailhead about 12:30.  The phone said it was 53 degrees.  At that time the sun was still out and the winds were not high.  About an hour into it, the clouds thickened up, the winds picked up and it felt colder.  We were not over dressed.

Me:  Jersey, undershirt, shorts, heavy tights, heavy arm warmers, jacket, heavy head sock under the helmet and a helmet cover.  I was wearing my full fingered warmer bike gloves, they were marginal.  My socks (grey Wright socks) were too short, there was an inch of exposed skin between the sock and the bottoms of the tights.  We wore the regular MTB shoes, and not the clown shoes, and my toes were chilly but not painful.

Jim.  Jersey, undershirt, shorts, heavy tights, heavy arm warmers, jacket, heavy head sock under the helmet and a helmet cover.  Jim has warmer gloves than I do, and his socks were tall enough.  His feet are generally warmer than mine, and his toes were good.

These are the clown shoes.  They're down hill shoes and they're full of padding and they look huge.  They're also warm, but they kind of look ridiculous on benign trails.

Those of you who were reading the blog when we were spending time in the Seattle area no doubt recall my frequent complaining about the traffic.  This morning was particularly bad.  This happened early in the morning on west bound I90 which is one of the two bridges over Lake Washington that people drive to get into down town Seattle.  Every single lane - blocked by an overturned semi.


Tomorrow Junk and Dump comes to remove this pile of vegetation.  There's a dead Pyramidalis on top of the pile of day lilies.  I will be happy to see it all go.


That's it!  That's all I've got.

15 comments:

  1. I did notice one of the horses was peeing. Good shot:)

    I'm not a cyclist but I did take one of the dogs for a good long walk today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmmm - I'm from Houston - I thought all traffic was like that (all lanes completely blocked for an unknown time).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that is an amazingly thorough traffic barrier! One wonders how these things happen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is one serious looking gym thingie. Love the horse shot. 😁

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. Your new gym is amazing. Congratulations on putting that thing together!and on the curtains. Sometimes Walmart saves the day, or night in this case.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a lot of parts, I doubt I'd have the patience to put something like that together.

    Crazy that all the lanes are closed. Would it be due to an accident that needed to be cleared up?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on blocking out that yard light.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A couple of the neighbors behind me have floodlights and it's SO annoying. I do have a blackout blind, thankfully. I admire you for still biking in your warm weather gear. Boyfriend and I have been very lax. Of course it has been horribly rainy/windy and I am in New York at the moment. The exercise machine is impressive; I hate putting things together and am no good at it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. When Spectrum ran cable down the main road and the residential streets, and all over the county, for that matter, they drilled a horizontal to the road hole, pushed (or pulled) a flexible orange pipe through the hole, then sucked the cable through the orange pipe. I wasn't terrible interested, but that's how the road guy explained it to me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. well, yay for finding the right curtains but too bad they had to come from the Evil Empire. I hate have to shop there but it's the only real choice here in this small town unless we want to drive the 30 minutes on a road that's been under heavy construction for the last three years and yes, many an accident involving an 18 wheeler.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good job on the curtains! I hate those security lights. The Airbnb we're about to move into has one that we think will be shining into our bedroom as well. Since we're only going to be there for a few months and can't drill any holes, we are planning on using fabric my mother has bolts and bolts of (she used to do quilting, theater costuming, and doll-making) and hopefully with the help of Command Performance hooks, we'll be able to rig something up. Then, when we move into our new house in the deep, deep woods, we won't have that issue at all, but will still do blackout shades due to moonlight and early-morning light. We like a really dark bedroom.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That Conduit laying sure is tearing up a lot of Landscaping, I'm not sure I'd like the carnage in my Yard if I wasn't even going to use it or see any personal benefit from it! Too bad their rep is an Asshole, that can't be good for business and the Face of their Company presented to the Public to get subscribers? I liked Blackout Curtains we had at our previous Home, but the Plantation Shutters on this property do the trick and are a refreshing change from having to have Curtains at all. Curtains and Carpets are something I feel quite conflicted about sometimes... Love-Hate Relationship.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats on the curtains. One day in New York, it was in the high 50's and low 60's and I was freezing. I've lived in the desert too long.

    ReplyDelete