Thursday, October 7, 2021

Dressing for the Climate We Have

Since I can't remember much of anything (like what did we do last Tuesday?) it has to be written down.  So the blog will record what we wore in what temperatures on what terrain so we can start learning how to dress for colder weather.  Today we rode in the woods, it was fun.  It's apparent we've forgotten how to climb steep rocky trails, practice will be required.  One must lower the chest to the handle bars and pull back, rather than up, to avoid pulling the front wheel up.  That is very disconcerting.

Today's clothing choices -  It was 58 degrees and fairly sunny, we started riding about 12:45 from the Wilber trailhead.

Me:  Warmer jersey, undershirt, shorts, heavy arm warmers and heavy knee warmers, vest.  Black head sock under helmet and full finger mountain bike gloves.  Thicker socks than usual.

Jim:  Warmer jersey, undershirt, shorts, heavy arm warmers and heavy knee warmers, vest.  Black Head Sweat under helmet, glove liners and road bike gloves.  Regular socks.

We rode in the woods which was slower than being on the road.  If we'd been on the road, we would have needed jackets.  Our brief foray onto the road convinced us to get back into the trees.

Riverside State Park and the adjacent military reserve are full of trails. With the exception of the steep bits with rocks, they're not technical trails.  I, for one, am happy about this.  Given the state of the ERs which are full of unvaccinated people, I do not want to be maimed at this time.


Unlike the trails in Bend, OR, there was nobody out there.  We saw two other riders, and one runner.  Nice, really nice.

Yesterday we went to Penny's in the mall to get a curtain rod.  The mall was deserted, it was sad. This may presage the end of brick and mortar shopping. Of course, this mall is anchored by Penny's and Kohl's so perhaps people are still going downtown for Nordstrom and REI.  After we got back we sprinkled some art through out the house.  There is more sprinkling yet to be done, but what we did was sufficiently tiring.  I hate putting holes in the walls.

Here is one sprinkle of art, I used the portrait setting on the phone, I think it warms the scene up.  I also think that picture is not level.  It's a water color of a bridge over water, which you can't actually see from here.


Other than that I have nothing interesting to say other than what we wore. 

8 comments:

  1. I like the look of those trails. People seem to think that you have to have the gnarly technical routes, but I would rather ride easy and enjoy the scenery and the ride!
    We are back into our merino layers..good for hot or cold weather!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! I don't want to be maimed at any time! Looks like you're settling into the new environment nicely. We're officially moving into our new house this afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely trails! I too hate putting holes in the wall, probably because I usually measure incorrectly and have to do it several times. (not good at hanging pictures)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I only rode for fun, and it sure wouldn't be on a road with those trails available.

    ReplyDelete
  5. really nice area to bike through. I grew up in a house with lots of art on the walls. and I do also. I'm always mystified when I go in houses with no art. around here about the only thing hanging on walls is a collection of crosses. at least at the estate sale houses.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also use my blog to "record" things for future reference!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't tell you how many times my family has asked when such and such a thing happened, and I simply go to my blog, and there it is, reliably recorded for posterity. My dad used to say "He who has no memory makes one of paper." These days, we make it of pixels and light.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks like a fantastic place to ride. I have never been able to do anything technical on a MTB, but I could ride that trail. Lovely! As for picture hanging, have you tried the Command Performance picture hangers? I discovered them when we were RVing and declared them a miracle. They use a plastic velcro-like attachment and don't mess up the walls. We had many a picture stay on the wall even while going down bumpy roads in the RV, using them. This is the only thing I will use on the walls of our new house: https://www.command.com/3M/en_US/command/projects/picture-hanging/.

    ReplyDelete