Monday, October 18, 2021

Four Down, Five To Go

The plan today was to generate a small amount of yard waste that would fit in a plastic yard waste bag that would fit in the trash container which goes out to the street tomorrow night.  HAH!  Double Hah Hah Hah!  We started off cutting the peonies almost to the ground, and raking up maple tree and rhododendron debris.  Then we decided to determine if we could dig up the day lilies or if we'd have to pay someone to do it.  My nice neighbor loaned me her pitch fork and we started in on it.  Yes, the elderly can dig up giant day lilies with the proper tools. 

This is the first to die.  After getting it out of the ground we decided maybe we should not cut the tops off.  They ended up going everywhere.


These are the four we got out today.  Next Thursday, Junk and Dump will come and take them and any other bags of leaves away.  If we had gotten the yard waste container when we arrived, we could have put them in there, but we didn't.  For some reason we thought we wouldn't need one since the man who cuts the grass hauls it away.  Hah!  Double Hah!


These five will be biting the dust soon.  They just had to go, I hate these things.  Probability is high that we will spend the next ten years killing off the tubers we left in the ground today, but I can live with that. 

The black material is shade cloth, which we have stretched across two window wells.  I'm hoping they'll keep the leaves from falling in to the wells so that I don't have to go in there and pick them up.  See the concrete curbing that defines the edge of the grass?  That's a thing in Spokane, we saw that in many of the houses we looked at online.


This is a tree down the street.  It's an impressive autumn display of color.  However, soon the leaves will be in the yards.


Tomorrow appears to be the last good day for awhile, rain is coming.  Since Spokane is in drought I can't whine about it too much.  I think we will go ride out at Riverside again.

6 comments:

  1. Is that yellow tree a willow?
    Day lilies are such a pain. We used to roll them down our ravine, yelling "Ravine Lilies!" Here in the country they are in every ditch, and simply are Ditch Lilies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish we could take your day lilies! We have some but I'd like more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love daylilies! but then mine don't turn brown like that. some die down completely during the winter, they rest stay green. I suppose eventually the shade cloth will be covered with leaves and then there will be no light coming through the windows.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you don't like your neighbor's leaves, I would drive you crazy. I don't really collect leaves, except to pile them onto my garden. I leave them as they are for the most part, some blow away and some provide winter cover for insects. The only downside is the dog turds hiding under the dead leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I get lots of leaves from one of my neighbor's huge trees. It's exhausting! We do need the rain. (and the snow in the mountains)

    ReplyDelete
  6. We walk down one street on our walks here in Durham where there are several Sycamore trees. I had never seen them in anyone's yard, only alongside rivers. They are MONSTERS, and the leaves as big as dinnerplates. The houses in this neighborhood are smallish, so the huge trees look amazing next to them. Oh the raking! Although the trees are stunning and have beautiful bark, I could never live in a yard with one. The trees around you look much more manageable. The willow is especially pretty.

    ReplyDelete