Saturday, October 16, 2021

Curtains and Weights

Greetings and Salutations.  We have been busy.  With what have we been busy, you wonder.  Buying and returning curtains is what.  Nothing should be this difficult.  The first thing we bought was 100 inches wide, we figured one panel would do well blocking out the neighbor's security lights.  It probably would have except for the fact that we were told we must use the middle curtain rod support because of its weight.  Well you can't do that and pull a curtain across it at the same time.  That curtain went back.  The second attempt was also an abject failure.  See photo below.

See the gap between the carpet and the bottom of the curtain?  The panels are supposed to measure 84 inches.  A tape measure revealed that it's actually 82 inches and now they will be going back, as well.  It just should not be this tedious. 

I took the next photo at 8:30 this morning through an open door.  There is a reflection of some part of me mid photo.  I am not sure how that happened.  Anyway, it was a lovely morning.  The terrible day lillies are reaching the stage where they need to be cut to the ground.  I am really looking forward to that.


Here is the always lovely Parryi in the morning light.

I have a grow light on order from Amazon.  Hopefully it will get him through the winter months healthy and happy.  Days are short up here.  We're at 47.65 degrees north.  However, London is at 51.50 degrees north, so their days are even shorter in the winter.  I did not know the following until I looked up Spokane's lattitude,  "Even the southernmost point of Britain is further north than the northernmost part of the contiguous United States (the 48 adjoining states, so this does not include Alaska or Hawaii), while London lies further north than almost all major Canadian cities, including Vancouver, Montreal, Quebec City, and Toronto."


Amazon came today.  I took this through the screen door.  This is my first lift gate truck delivery from them.


The home gym came.  Yay!  There are about a thousand pieces to it, all of which had to be unboxed and carried downstairs individually because neither of us could lift the three boxes it was packed in.

Since it was a perfect day, we went out and worked in the yard some after receiving the heavy packages.  It was in the upper 60's with full sun.  Tomorrow should be less sunny, but still good to ride.  The maple is sneaking up on dropping its leaves.  We moved the Japanese lantern over there, it looks nice under the maple.


Sooner or later we're going to need a new tea kettle.  Most of the new ones do not have a removable lid, which is something I really like.  We saw this one at Crate and Barrel while in Tucson and liked it.  I'm putting it here so I can find the name of it in the future.  Unposted pictures become lost over time.  It's a Haden Dorchester Kettle.  Please make a note of this, for when the current kettle become in-op.

Is it not lovely?  They also make toasters and coffee makers in this color.

This is from the department of you can't fix stupid.  Anti-vaxxers held a rally in front of the NYT building, waving flags and chanting "Defund the media."  Do they think taxes fund journalism?  Video is here if you want to hear stupid as well.

Other than this, I have zippity doo-dah all to report from the soon to be frozen north.


10 comments:

  1. That was a lovely morning view.
    That lamp looks interesting..at 55.4⁰ North that could be a good idea for us!! I know we get the Gulf Stream effect, but the only place I can bring plants into lacks light. It might help our health too, not just the plants!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your morning picture is really beautiful. Looks so different than our desert morning. You expect me to help remember the tea kettle? You are sooo funny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. why the hell do the idiots think the NYT has anything to do with vaccines mandates? this country is circling the drain. the three etched glass undraped windows in my bedroom mostly block out the lights from the RV park across the field but when the pecan trees lose their leaves they will no longer block out the light from the moon and when it's full and crossing during the night it floods the room with light. I think about getting a curtain to pull across but so far haven't.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bought an electric kettle not too long ago. I really like it - heats the water quickly without having to turn on the stove. That home gym looks like/sounds like it will be fun, fun, fun to put together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The lantern looks great under the maple tree. And I'm glad you got a grow light for the agave! It's so funny how the NYT serves as the lightning rod for all this anti-media baloney. On the plus side, it was nice to see the building where I used to work. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Curtains! I hope the third time's a charm. And yes indeed, that teapot is divine. I might have to look for its coffee cousin. I've been doing a lot of browsing at Crate and Barrel myself, in fact the chair I posted to day is from their CB2 outfit. Generally appealing stuff overall.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Are those the day lilies out by the curb? Day lilies are notorious over breeders. Best dig them up and dispose. The next year, dig up stragglers. The next several years, ditto.

    ReplyDelete
  8. People are SO dumb these days! I'm very discouraged and disheartened by much of what I see and here right now. The weather sounds beautiful and you're getting things done, or at least started. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm about 158 miles West of you,I love Lilies, you could have "E'd" them to me..Mine seem to die on their own or some critter gets them..Munch-munch..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice teakettle, and yard! I'm behind on blog reading again, so I'm looking forward to seeing if you two have managed to put it together. A big job indeed, but good for the brain, before you use it to be good for the bod!

    ReplyDelete