Monday, May 9, 2011

Berlin

Internet at the Ibis continues to be abysmal. I guess I'll have to post short reports and then augment them later.
This is a massive church in what was East Berlin. It was bombed into rubble during WWII. Restoration was not begun until the 1970s and continues to today.

We went to the DDR museum today which was very interesting. It gives a very detailed picture of what life was like under the Russian occupation. It was grim. The government was building those enormous concrete block apartment complexes as late as the 1980s because there was no housing. So many buildings were destroyed in the war, people did not have anywhere to live. It was not a happy society.

Well, I just lost connectivity for the second time, so I guess I will go now.

No comments:

Post a Comment