Wednesday, May 27, 2020

The New and Unimproved Blogger

Have you all seen the new Blogger?  I noticed it today.  I have to say I really and truly hate it.



In the current version, you can skip through old posts 100 at a time.  So if you want to edit something from 2008, you can get there reasonably quickly.  No more, my friend, you have to page down, or use the scroll bar all the way down.  It loads more posts as you go, so you may grow very old before finding 2008.


If you mouse over existing posts, it puts icons up on the right for actions you can take.  I'm not clear if "return to draft" is the same as "edit".  I kind of liked the words appearing under the post title, so it was clear what action you were taking.

I also do not like what they did with comments.  You can't just click on a bunch of spam comments and then go to the top and click "spam."  Nope, gotta click on each one individually.

Check it out, if you don't like it, please let them know by clicking on the question mark in the clear circle at the top of the page, not the question mark in the black circle.  It probably won't do any good, Google has never been known for its customer facing posture, but these changes are not an improvement.

I realize this is a first world problem, but when companies make random changes to what was a properly functioning user interface, it makes me very angry.  Color me angry.

Updated:

And THIS is what the new editing screen looks like.  It's just stupid.  They hid the HTML button up and off to the right.  Why?


Update 2:  So I'm editing this published post.  The edit button has been replaced with "unpublish this post.  That's what "revert to draft" means.  Adding pictures is also terrible.  It used to be that when you added a bunch of photos, they would go into a bucket and you could go back and insert them at your leisure.  Now they just dump them randomly into the post.  Not an improvement!  This just pisses me off.

12 comments:

  1. I'm working on a blog post using this new thing and I also hate it. It's frustrating and I cant figure out how to fix things. I dont understand WHY they have to mess it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It figures ... we finally figure out how to use this one and they decide to screw it up! Not that it will help, but I'll add my two cents to their feedback. I don't understand the need to change something that works really well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've ruined my day.....I didn't know about this "new" version and just looked at it....ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh goodie - I've just gotten easy with the existing blogger format. And, now I have to change to something not user friendly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't tried the new one yet. I suppose I'll adapt but I wonder why they felt the need to make this change at all?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I tried to do a post on the new version. it sucks! wouldn't let me drag and drop images so I tried to go through the add image icon and it wouldn't work either. and the formatting is weird. had to go back to the current version.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Please send feedback. Back when they added the slideshow format to pictures enough people complained about losing the non-slideshow format that they made both an option. I don't like slide show, so I stayed with the original photo layout. So, there's one occasion that I know of that they listened to users. According to their banner, we'll be forced off legacy in July.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hate the design changes too. I will look for how to give feedback. So far I’ve just been clicking the option to use the old version. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  9. OH NO I have been ignoring the whole thing but , having read this post, think that I must give them my two cent spanking.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I used to use Blogger but found even the old version (10 years ago) very annoying and cumbersome to use. But once you have years of a blog on a particular platform, it's tough to change. And today I got the "new, simpler" Facebook. No thank you. Actually, the new, simpler might be better except that right now it doesn't support Facebook Purity, an add-on that filters out ads and lots of other crap I don't want to see. So, I'm using the "classic" version...until they pull it, which they certainly will at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I switched it on tonight, and beside the post have fired off a lot of bitches to blogger.

    ReplyDelete