Tuesday, June 18, 2019

Capitol Reef - Grand Wash

Today we walked up the Grand Wash.  It's a wash, surrounded by towering walls.  It's basically a flat hike, one spends all of the time looking up.


My theory is that these indentations in the walls of the canyon are formed by water eddying there.  Then when there is a lot of water, rocks from the bottom of the wash are deposited in there.  We saw this a lot.



There were other people in the canyon.  We kept getting in phase with people, so we'd have to stop and take pictures of stuff so we could get some separation.  Here are some pretty flowers that grow down there.


Trees are tenacious.  They grow on ledges in the rocks.


After reaching the end of the canyon, and a well placed pit toilet we stopped for a peanut butter sandwich.  Peanut butter is the official food of hiking.  While Jim was waiting for me to exit the toilet, a young man (mid-20s) asked if they needed to take water.  Jim said if they were going to the other end, then yes.  So, they did take water.  The two guys set off in flip flops.  This is a very rocky trail.  It goes from gravel to good sized rocks.  The flip flop choice is confounding to me.  This is the lunch view.



Notice Jim's sensible shoes.


More canyon wall.



 This was taken driving back on Hwy 24.  The pointy rock is Navajo Dome.


 More red rocks in the sun.


It was a good hike.  We haven't done a pointy-rock hike since May 23 and our feet have gotten soft.  There was gym, pool and mountain bike rides, but those don't harden off the feet.  I have a new foot owie on my left foot under the fourth metacarpal that I am very unhappy about.  Some sort of padding may have to be deployed to lessen the discomfort.  It's always something with the feet.

5 comments:

  1. Holy cow, Allison! There is a good deal of that tree phenomenon here in the Alleghenies. Just digging in their toes and turning that rock to sand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty. I'll bet the young men regretted wearing flip flops after 15 minutes of walking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that was a fabulous hike. The canyon is just amazing!! Just as dumb as your flip flop hiker was the one I met on the trail to Half Dome in Yosemite. He was barefoot. I'm pretty sure he regretted that move by the time he got back to his vehicle ..... IF he got back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. that is a beautiful canyon. I wish my husband liked to hike and do things. he doesn't, never has but I didn't really know that about him until we had kids. so I do things without him. young men in flip flops, the invincibility of youth.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can tell that you've reached a "certain age" when you start wearing sensible shoes! I see Mexican women everywhere here wearing the thinnest of flip-flops, or alternatively, high-heeled platform sandals. And unlike in the US, people walk here, a lot, all over the place outdoors in that kind of footwear. I am in my nerdy New Balance walkers, but my dogs sure do feel good!

    ReplyDelete