Sunday, June 23, 2019

Capitol Reef - The Rim Overlook

We did this hike in 2014.  For some reason, neither of us had a memory of what it was like.  It was hard.  It's a very long two miles up to the rim overlook.  It's steep.  We blew it on water, if we had remembered how long it took to walk it, we would have worn the camelbaks and carried more water.  But we didn't.

Scenery.


For once, a picture taken to show how steep a trail is actually looks steep.


Here we are at the Rim Overlook.  That's the Waterpocket Fold.  That's one of the folds, you can see them marching off into the distance.


Those are the orchards the Mormons planted years ago.  The park service takes care of them now.


That's the canyon carved by the Sulphur Creek.


We walked on from the overlook.  We followed the trail on up for a little ways.  Then we walked out on to the tops of the rocks and looked down some.  It's really high up there.


My feet were starting to holler, so we turned around and went back down the hill.  It's beautiful in both directions.


A tree, growing in the rocks at the top.


More stunning vistas.




This is the Hickman Natural Bridge.  Most of the people in the parking lot go up that trail, and not to the overlook.  There were very few people on our trail.



These are lava bombs.  That must have been something to see, pelting the landscape a zillion years ago.


I think tomorrow there will be sleeping late and laundry.  I'm pretty sure there will not be hiking.

6 comments:

  1. Lava bombs, Mormons and natural bridges, all in one day. You deserve tomorrow off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we did that hike with you in 2014. We need to get back to Cap Reef!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope this comment is not offensive, but I am telling you "as a friend." LOL! I think the reds are off in your camera. Either that, or the sun bleached out all the red since I did this hike last October. Is there a setting in there to dial back the blue a tinge and up the red?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't that interesting about the orchards. It's amazing that those trees could grow in that canyon. Lots of water I suppose. Gorgeous country!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think we may have done that hike in 2006. So many hikes in so many southwestern parks that year, they all blend together, but I'm remembering the orchard. Definitely a challenging hike, I and I was only 45 then. Just a baby! ;-) Good on you for doing it!

    ReplyDelete