Friday, June 21, 2019

Capitol Reef - Chimney Rock to Spring Canyon

Last night's weather was impressive.  Around six the wind really picked up.  We were getting it on the passenger side of the bus, and it would shake the bus some.  We weigh 35,000 pounds so when the wind moves us, you know it's blowing.  This was parked behind us.  This is roughing it.  The thing on top is a sleeping place.  You can also sleep in the bottom.  There is no bathroom and no air conditioning.  I figured it was occupied by a 20 something couple, but no.  A married couple with three kids was in it.  That had to be exciting up top in the wind.


The weather was iffy this morning.  You can see by the total lack of color in the sky that it was very overcast.  We went out to the Chimney Rock trail head.  After ascending a giant hill, we turned off on to the trail that goes to Spring Creek Canyon.  It has magnificent rubble.


You can see how giant chunks are in the process of falling down.  Water gets in there, freezes, and pushes rock sections apart.


More giant rubble.



The walls are so impressive.


Notice the tree growing in the crack, and his roots going back towards the canyon wall.  Trees are tenacious.



This was taken coming back out of the canyon, looking at where we had been.


We turned left back UP the trail to go see Chimney Rock, there was a little sun coming out by then.


Chimney Rock.



Afterwards we went to look at the canyon cut by Sulphur Creek.  It took about 280 million years to make this.


Tomorrow night's low is forecast to be 35 degrees.  Thirty five!!!!

5 comments:

  1. I just keep saying this: More, please. Can't get enough.
    I did get enough of pop-up camping, long time ago. Tent camping was my childhood, and when my parents discovered popups in the early sixties, they were in heaven. I was out of the house by then, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, that's not exactly my cup of tea, that popup. I'd have to carry the pups up and down the ladder! Fascinating rocks. It makes you wonder what happened every year to make those layers. Just fabulous pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful scenery. trees out there have to be tenacious. I'm surprised they get enough water to survive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 35 degrees...ugh! Glad you aren't in that pop-up tent. Five people in it? The mind boggles. Thanks for sharing your beautiful photos. I love that part of the US and never would have guessed how pretty rocks can be, being from the southeast!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Spring Canyon has to be one of my Top Five favorite canyons. I spent so much time there in October in hopes that it would last me a while. But nope. Seeing these photos makes me want to go again!

    ReplyDelete