Friday, October 6, 2023

Electrical Work and Changing Leaves

I was thinking this morning that I should do a blog post so ya'll don't forget about me, so I cast my mind back over the last few days to see if we had done anything interesting, and decided that nope, we had not.  

There has been packing.  We are so adorable, after buying the park model we were saying things like "all we'll have to do is pack some clothes and head out."  Nope!  I've got a sarcophagus sized box in the packing room which I am stuffing with extra blankets, yoga mats, a tea kettle for coffee, a Melita thermos for coffee (not sold in stores, sadly), kitchen odds and ends which may or may not be in residence in Tucson.  When we bought the park model I did not have the heart to look in any drawers or cabinets since the lady that lived there was obviously distressed about having to sell, so if it's a must have item (like coffee), I'm taking it with us.  The packing rule this time is that if it's coming back to Spokane, it travels in the car.  We are towing a 5x8 trailer which really did sound enormous, until you look at the foot print of the bike rack.  It will fit the rack, a new hitch mounted bike rack (still in the box) and the sarcophagus, and probably not much more than that.  Several items have already been deleted from the list.  As always, this would be so much easier if we still had the RV.  But we don't.

Yesterday the microwave died.  That was interesting.  There are no serviceable parts in a microwave, many appliance repair people will not even try.  The thought of having to go find a microwave, find someone to remove the old one and put in the new one, all of which would be done over a glass cook top was really giving me the willies, especially seeing as how we're leaving November 2.  However, we learned that circuit breakers do go bad.  It appeared that it was, indeed, the circuit breaker, it would not stay in the ON position for even a split second.  Today, the septuagenarians replaced the breaker.  We are not handy people, however we needed the microwave working.  I no longer know how to reheat left overs without a microwave.  Plus we lost the bright lights under the microwave and the exhaust fan.  Youtube is an amazing resource to learn how to do something.  It was not that difficult, the non-handy can do this repair.


If you need to replace a breaker, I recommend this video


Fall is in progress, I offer photographic evidence.


Jim took this photo night before last.  It was a great sunset.


That's it!  That's all I have to say.

9 comments:

  1. Tackling a breaker would be beyond me even with a video. My late husband was in electronics and made all of that look easy! Amazing sunset indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The photos are lovely. Have a safe trip down to Tucson.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found I really over packed when I took my journey this summer. So used to having the RV with everything in it. Hopefully next year I can do better. I'm also hoping our temps go down a wee bit for you. Enjoy your colors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. lovely colors. we don't really get that unless we have an early frost which doesn't usually happen. this first trip to the new park model will be an adventure discovering what's there and what's not. next year's packing should be easier.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wondered when you were leaving! Hopefully you'll have most of everything you need there in Tucson. If not, as Dave always reminds me, they have stores! The fall colors are beautiful, as was that sunset!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Fall is really happening there! I am so impressed at your work with the circuit breaker. I'm not very handy in general but I definitely draw the line at electrical things.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The fall colors are gorgeous, both the trees and the sky.
    Well done with the electrical box - I'm pretty sure I would have wimped out and called an electrician.
    Good luck with the packing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Safe travels.
    Beautiful colours

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful fall colors. Our very high-end, built-in microwave recently died as well. It was 13 months old so only one month out of warranty. Youtube research saved the day for us as well, and my very handy husband who got an electrical tech degree before computer science. It was the door close sensor that went bad in our case. We ordered a new one, and he got it installed. Cost around $40. The most difficult part was getting the uber-heavy microwave in and out of the cabinet where it was mounted - that took us both. And there are certain safety protocols that have to be followed (also explained on Youtube). I was very relieved and thankful for the man I married, as I am (most) of the time! Glad you two were handy enough to get yours fixed as well. Best wishes for the packing. It will be simpler next year, since you'll know what you need in the park model. Take notes! ;-)

    ReplyDelete