Monday, December 26, 2022

Boxing Day

Christmas was very low key.  It rained all day.  Sometimes it was water rain, sometimes it was freezing rain.  Look at the background of the photo, far away, those are clouds in the trees.  I expect that in Seattle, but am a little surprised that it's like that here.  But it is, please make a note of this.

The agave got the only Christmas present given, in the form of a timer for the grow lights.  I took the succulent to the neighbor's because I don't think he can go 2.5 months without water.  The agave is very happy that there will be light while we're gone.


For Christmas dinner, Jim spatchcocked a 5 pound chicken, grilled it at 375F for about 50 minutes, and it was just wonderful.  It did not come in the house looking like a victim of a house fire.  This is the bottom side of the bird.  It's interesting to me that when you buy a package of chicken breasts they're not that good, thighs are better but still not great.  An entire chicken is another thing entirely.  The whole thing was good.  We're down the curve on the process, so I think we'll be doing chicken like this in the future.  Next time, I'll try to photograph the other side, which is his good side.


Loading the car has commenced.  Still no photos because it's so steenking cold in the garage.  This is the packing room.  Everything behind the row with the tote bags is in the car.  Thus far, measurements have been accurate and I think it's all going to fit. 


So, returning to the saga of the house shoes.  Nothing worked.  I really had hope for this pair.  My left foot has rejected them out of hand.  I think I slide forward enough that the thing that goes over the top of the foot is exerting enough pressure to make the metatarsal heads rub on each other. 


So, now we have come to this.  Flip flops with single toe socks.  The socks are ok, except for they're not tall enough and they're not at all warm.  I think I may contact some Etsy sellers who knit and ask if they'll make me a pair of wool socks.  Apparently I am destined to wear Oofos flip flops until I shuffle off this mortal coil.


Other than this paltry offering, I have zippity doo-dah all to report.

6 comments:

  1. Glad the car-packing is working out! (So far!) I have no advice on indoor shoes. I tend to go barefoot inside, or just wearing socks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The final push to pack is always exciting and a little nerve wracking too. Good luck!
    I wear socks and flipflops in the winter much of the time. Like you, I find slides uncomfortable and slippers don't provide sufficient support. Again, good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We've never tried that with a chicken. We'll have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can you just wear sneakers in the house? That's what I do now that my feet are unhappy with age. Have a safe trip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sure it will all fit, after all you already did it in the packing room. I have some Yahoo acorn polartec very loose slippers with a soft leather sole, add fleece socks and my feet are comfy. I've probably had them for 20 years but only need them for days when it gets really cold like this last week. Usually I'm still in sandals.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 37paddington:
    Those LL Bean sheepskin lined moccasins are the best cold weather indoor slippers I’ve found. I think I missed something. Where are you headed with all your packing?

    ReplyDelete