Monday, November 21, 2022

Perfidy, House Shoes and Cold Walking

Greetings humans.  How are things in your space time continuum?  Nothing is new here except for observing the usual perfidy and malfeasance of the republican party.  AG Garland has appointed a Special Counsel to look in to the dumpster fire's malfeasance associated with mis-handling classified documents and inciting an insurrection.  SC Jack Smith has a reputation of being a wolverine when prosecuting, so hopefully the dumpster fire will go to jail for something - anything.  I don't care what.  Representative Jim Jordan has declared that after he gets through investigating Hunter Biden's laptop, he's going to investigate the Special Counsel; I would pay money to watch that.

Meanwhile the hunt for something to put on my feet in the house goes on.  First I was thinking shoes without backs, mules I think they are called.  I ordered one pair, they're too pointy, my little toes will not have it.  A different, less pointy, pair should be delivered today - we'll see.  Then I saw a pair of Hoka slides on the website that have velcro adjusting straps, so I ordered those.  My feet are what the shoe dogs call "low volume."  Today, we were returning two pair of Merrell boots I ordered from REI because my feet hate them, and I saw a pair of Oofos slides, so I bought them, too; just in case I don't like the velcro Hokas.  Last winter I made it through the entire season sockless wearing flip flops, but this winter my feet are too cold.  I guess it's old age and decreasing circulation to the extremities.  Yep, the Oofos are very unattractive, but they're cushy.  My feet want cushy, they do not want hard soled shoes.  They also do not go barefoot as a result of three foot surgeries.

When Windows comes up, there are interesting articles on the home page.  This is one of them.  It talks about how lighting people, camera people and AI have difficulty with Black skin.  The first you tube in the article will talk about why the characters on "Insecure" look so good.  It's because the lighting person takes the time to make them look good.  Then, if you scroll down to "Wrongfully Accused by an Algorithm" it discusses some really terrible policing along with the fact that facial recognition can't differentiate between different Black people, and apparently neither can the cops.  AI is really not good enough to be in prime time, but it's being used anyway.

We went up the hill yesterday, it was the coldest walk yet.  The temperature was 32.7F but the cloud cover made it feel colder.  I think next time it's like that, we're going to wear polar fleece shirts under the large polar fleece jackets.  The hand warmers are very good, we went back and bought more.

Thanksgiving is nearly upon us.  Jim and I went to Winco to get a chicken and some turkey necks.  Chicken stock is up to $5.99 from $3.29 and I am not paying that much for chicken flavored water.  So, there will be the making of stock for dressing and freezing for future cooking.  This year we are spatchcocking a chicken and cooking it in the grill, there will be no more rolled turkey breasts in our house again - ever.  Anyway, I'm glad we went today, because it was just nuts.  It will only get worse as the week progresses.

So, other than looking for something to wear in the house, I have zippity doo-dah all to report.

Well ok, I just saw this chart.  It's fairly depressing.


8 comments:

  1. Our gun homicide rate is outrageous, but I feel like nothing will ever be accomplished due to the GOP and their love of weapons and the 2nd Amendment, combined with fear that we won't be safe unless we have lots of guns. I hope I'm wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this dumb country sucks at nearly every level of suckdom. Black skin is difficult to paint - I don't know how to do it because it is not black and it is not dark brown it is a combo of pink, yellow, blue, white, purple , green , peach and sienna. Complex- with highlights everywhere not just the cheek bones. If there was a god she most certainly would be black.

    ReplyDelete
  3. we both wear Stegmann boiled wool clogs around the house, have for many years. They're warm with a large toebox and you can run outside with them if necessary. So....why no turkey breast roll (she says with one waiting in her freezer)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wear socks with my flip-flops. :)
    I'm not a fan of the turkey breast rolls either, and a whole turkey is too big for our small family. For Christmas, I'm looking for a round steak to make into mock duck. My mother made it - I never have but I remember enjoying it as a child.
    Guns, God, and grievances...the trifecta of right wing logic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The US and guns -- a marriage from hell. I've heard that about black skin and photographers, but I thought things were getting better as more and more black people become involved in media. AI is still terrible, though, as you said.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have foot problems too, I have two pairs of shoes which give me good support, one inside and one outside.
    The US is number 1! God only knows when Americans will wake up and do something about it. It's so sad.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yeah, our gun stats are outrageous, it's no wonder people don't want to come visit here. But republicans will tell you it's not the guns. If not the guns, what? Mental illness? If so we are a very mentally ill country. But they won't address that either. Jim Jorden is a piece of shit. Well, they all are. They're going after Fauci too, for what? Not kowtowing to Trump?

    This has been an unseasonably cold winter for us so far but it looks like a few warmer days are in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm wondering if enough of the old repuglicans die off, the younger (and typically more enlightened generations) will finally do something about guns? One can dream.
    I am with you on wearing something on my feet with socks indoors in the winter. Flip-flops are great for summer, but my tootsies get cold come fall! I bought some padded Dearfoam slippers that just slide on (mule shaped), and they are super comfy. Not as supportive as what you got, but I like having my toes covered. Crocs are also very comfy, but mine live in the garage, and I wear them outside when I need to run out quickly, like to fill a bird feeder, so the bottoms stay too icky for inside the house.

    ReplyDelete