Friday, December 16, 2022

Twitter and NFTs

 Darren Addario put this up on Post.  I have to agree with his perspective.

What makes me angriest about what Musk's done to Twitter, in addition to the nazis and the way he's mistreating his employees, is that he took away an important community from some people, who because of distance or disability or age, are living a remote life in many ways. It was a key support system for these folks.

Random White Guy posted the following on Post.  I really hope he's wrong, but it doesn't feel that way. 

A fragmented opposition has always been the goal.

Sat down to read, fell asleep, woke up to a massive twitter purge of journalists. 

Musk’s thin skin is not really the cause, deplatforming opposing voices is. 

I’m convinced that Musk is the point person in an effort to destroy Twitter’s effectiveness as a vehicle for pro-democracy voices. The authoritarian right has been on the rise, so it’s only logical for the oligarchs to take the next step and undermine our public squares. Places where the left can freely interact in the open and on a world stage.

Free pro-democratic speech alarms authoritarians, but they are terrified by the idea of those pro-democracy voices having a place to meet, share ideas, and organize. 

The right has many such places, most are in the shadows. 4-chan should come to mind. 

Mostly, the left keeps its work out in the light. Destroy those places the left meets to organize and you set the cause of freedom and democracy back until such spaces can reform. Maybe by a few years, but maybe by a decade. 

Running Twitter into the ground is the plan, not the result of poor management. 

A fragmented opposition has always been the goal. 

Divide and conquer public spaces. 

Drive liberal voices into the shadows where they struggle to grow. 

Deny left leaning audiences access to voices that represent their ideas and only present them with the authoritarian’s views. 

$44 billion is a small price to pay for the world's oligarchs. Protecting their power, privilege, and property is priceless.

Yesterday, Elon suspended a bunch of left leaning journalists, accusing them all of publishing his locations in real time and making him a target for assassination.  None of it is true, he's just lying.  He really is pathetic.

How about those NFTs the orange dumpster fire is selling?  Supposedly, the 45,000 digital trading cards priced at $99, sold out in 12 hours. Bullshit!  If they did, that's $4.5M in money that just flowed to him from who knows where.  Foreign governments maybe?  Here's how collecting said NFTs is going for some of the base.


I don't understand NFTs at all.  What is the "it" that was sent to a random wallet?  I think wallet in this context indicates bitcoin (which is really good for money laundering), but that's an entire domain I do not know about and don't want to.

It's gotten colder.  The trees are covered in frost and it stays.  There has not been much sun, which is making it dismal and somewhat gruesome.  However, in Tucson it routinely hits 100F in late April/early May, and it stays hot until the end of October.  That's six months of really hot.  The two years we owned the house, there was no monsoon.  I think 2020 we had a day and a half of rain, the desert looked burned and it, too was dismal and gruesome.  Every where a person lives will have a bad season.  Thus far, I'm not hating winter as much as I thought I would.  Of course, after the upcoming Polar Vortex arrives, I may feel differently.  The thing about the heat, is you can't dress for it.  If it's cold, we put on another layer.  I have totally and completely embraced wool socks.


Today we got the car washed at the touchless place that washes the salt off the car undercarriage.  It's good, I wish they were a little closer.  This is the wax stage of the washing.  The paint looks really good with the repeated applications of wax.  It's quite attractive on the wind shield.


Other than this paltry offering, I am out of things to say.


6 comments:

  1. NFTs and Trumpies:
    "If God didn't want them sheared, he would not have made them sheep." Calvera (The Magnificent Seven)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this morning that Musk has unsuspended the journalists this morning. I'm guessing the push back was enough to get him to reverse his decision.
    As for the NFT's (as well as crypto), I consider them all similar to the Emperor's new clothes. Only those who are delusional or willing to give up their independent thought see any value.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's all very hinky. I don't quite get NFTs either even after I googled it. You have to have a digital wallet (don't know how to go about that), you can only purchase NFTs with cryptocurrency, the NFT image, game, video, music is sent to your digital wallet. If you want to sell it in the future, 10% goes back to the original creator and the platform may charge a fee as well. OK, I get games, videos, music only being available to the owner online. But art? The only place you can view the art you own is on the computer? I tried to find whether or not the art could be printed out but couldn't. If I buy a piece of art, I want it hanging on my wall where I can see it all the time.

    You can have the snow. I would be miserable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The NFT thing really was a hilarious shitshow. I could not have invented a better way for Trump to alienate his base.

    That snow photo is beautiful, but I imagine all that frost is heavy on the trees.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The glaring problem with these NFT's if the fact they are not supported by block chain. Which means you cannot see who purchased them. It is a glaring illegal work around for campaign funding.

    ReplyDelete