Thursday, April 2, 2020

Groceries and Covid-19 Humor

I spent yesterday afternoon, three or four hours, working on a mask.  I'm pretty dang sure I picked the most complicated mask pattern on the internet.  On the good side, I actually looked at all of my sewing machine's presser feet and discovered that I do have a top stitching foot.  That was good since 90% of the sewing involved top stitching seems.  Since elastic is no long easily available, we're going with long shoe laces to affix the mask to one's head.  You run the shoelace through the channel next to the ear.  It will be interesting to see how it works. 


Here is mine, made out of a cheerful fish pattern, with a flannel liner.  I'm using a pipe cleaner to get the nose piece to stay curved.


I really miss having a dedicated sewing room with a craft table and a table for the machine and drawers for all of my stuff.


Note the teeny tiny ironing board.  It folds down and hangs on a closet rod.


The cactus bloom is beginning.  This is a trichocereus in our neighbor's yard.  These are so impressive.


Here are some Covid-19 related things from the internet.  I'm not even going to start in on how stupid the governor of Georgia is, he just learned that Covid-19 is transmissible by people who are not symptomatic.  Has he been under a rock?


Another genius.


We went to Fry's this morning, apparently they had just gotten a truck.  They were in a shelf stocking frenzy.  It's a big grocery store, it takes awhile for us to find things.  We took the first load home and went to Safeway, who has a lot more on the shelves than they did, for the all important extra crispy crinkle cut french fries.  Now we are going to make a vat of red sauce so that we know what's for dinner for at least two nights.  Still no sign of toilet paper anywhere.

Update to post:  Me!  In my mask.  It works better with real glasses than with readers, but it's ok.


 

10 comments:

  1. Surely Chovanec was trying to make some kind of (completely inappropriate and unfunny) joke. No one could be that stupid!

    I sent that squirrel tweet to Dave this morning. We got a kick out of it.

    I think your mask came out great! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's indicative of the intellect of the current administration that we even have to wonder if it was said in jest or not. Today Jared Kushner announced that he would be completely in charge of the Covid-19 response, so one never knows.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the cactus blooms. And the squirrel picnic tables.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let me know when you start accepting orders. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This from a Facebook group I follow. (I've never tried it.) "If you are making face masks and need elastic, you can open up a bungee cord, yards of elastic in each one."

      Delete
    2. Thanks for that. This is news we can use.

      Delete
  4. That's an excellent mask. I'm impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE the squirrel picnic table!!! Nice mask .. I see a few more people wearing them now. Weird how Safeway shelves had more stuff. Down here, it's the opposite.

    ReplyDelete
  6. good job on the mask. I'm appalled at the amount of ignorance and stupidity in this country. not just in the current governments but the people! and the greed! if it weren't for the ones of us who aren't ignorant or greedy I'd say this country deserves to be brought to its knees. How many of us are going to die because of that incompetent nasty little man.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm impressed! That mask is super nifty, especially compared to the bandana and pony tail rubber band version that Dave wore to the grocery store this morning! No sewing machine in Beluga...sigh.

    ReplyDelete