Wednesday, May 3, 2023

More Spring

Today was a fantastic day.  Temperatures were in the low 80s, not much wind and it was just delightful.  As Jim and I were heading down to the lake on the bikes we commented that when Spokane has spring (which it did not, last year) it's truly amazing.  

This was last night.  Try to ignore the reflections on the pendant lights lower right.  It's not an Arizona quality sunset, but it will do.


I went outside to see if I could get the pink sky behind the trees.


There was not much joy on the pink, but we did see this guy sitting at the top of a pine.  I think it's a Horned Owl.  That's a cell phone picture, with a lot of zoom, but you can definitely see the ears.


Today I went out to the back yard to see how things are going.  The dogwood is looking encouraging.


This is the pear tree, from this angle you can see how tall it is.  I will be very happy when it drops the blossoms.  That is one stinky tree.  It's ornamental and serves no purpose other than to smell bad and spread pollen into my poor eyes.


The woods are blooming.  Google lens identifies this as some sort of phlox.


The yellow plant is everywhere. 


I took this from the dock.  The people in the back ground with boats in the water have housing perfection.  The farther away one has a boat lift and a cover, so the boat can stay out all year.  No pulling the boat for winter.


It does appear that the park people have made some progress in armoring the shore line.  One of the drivers of the work being done was to keep the bank from sliding in to the lake.  That's a noble goal, but I still do not understand the decision to take out the RV parking.


This is from twitter.  It's a very accurate account of the movie.


Other than this paltry offering, I have not too much to say.

6 comments:

  1. Young American! Killing is the thing! the owl is mag- nif! And so is the pear tree that you do not like. It is quite stunning! I wish your forest photos had smellorama!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray for finally spring! We're much later than you, but I notice the 'cross the street neighbour's lawn is turning green and my backyard trees are looking as if they will leaf out soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm stealing that last image, too funny. I think the yellow flowers are arnica. We're finally turning green here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 37paddington: I confess I try not to envy your bike riding life, but I secretly do. It’s a wonderful way of exploring your world and staying in peak physical condition too. That lake is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. glad to hear/see spring made it up your way. love the picture of the white phlox and pine cones.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bradford Pear trees are scourges, non-native and stinky to boot, and the trunks are subject to sudden splitting in windstorms. But your dogwood, on the other hand, that's a tree I can get behind! So glad it lives!

    ReplyDelete