Sunday, May 21, 2023

Garage Improvement, the Garden, and a Site Reaction

No rabbits in the window wells today, maybe learning has occurred and the bunny will stop falling in.  Perhaps the threat of being bundled up in a towel has had an effect.

So, yesterday we spent all day in the garage installing vinyl baseboard.  It was so much worse that I thought it would be.  I had intended to post about it last night, but I was too tired to write that much.  Vinyl baseboard is a flexible product that is glued to the wall and the floor of the room in question.  We had it in the house in Tucson, and it looked pretty good.  Now that I've installed it, I wonder if you could ever remove it without taking the wall board with it.

Here is Jim smearing adhesive on the back.  Note that he is kneeling.  We don't have a work bench, so work is generally done on the garage floor.  Adhesive is applied, and then smeared with a notched smearing tool and then stuck on the wall, and mushed down with a roller.  The trick is to not get so much glue near the edges so that the glue mushes out.  We did do that some, and were happy to learn that it dries clear.


There was a lot of getting down on the floor, standing up, and then getting back down on the floor.  This is what it used to look like.


Now it is much prettier. 



The garage has been bugging Jim since we got here, now he can take this off the list.

My cell phone camera has a macro setting.  It sort of works.  This is our first tomato.  It's actually very tiny.


A lady bug on a peony blossom.  At the top of the frame, you can see the fluid it's oozing.


Close ups of the new rhody which is blooming.


Today we rode the bikes to the lake.  It was our fastest time yet, despite the lingering fatigue from yesterday because thunder storms and hail were in the forecast.  We did not dawdle, hail on a bike is bad.  We saw this on the road leading to the trailhead.  It's a boat whose trailer detached from the tow vehicle.  The trailer and boat went into a ditch, and the boat has slid forward and is no longer attached to the trailer.  That will be difficult to recover.


Yesterday I was bemoaning my lack of response to the Shingrex vaccine we got on Friday.  Finally, today, there is some movement on that front.  I have a site reaction.  So, I think that's good.


Other than the usual depredations of the republican party and their attempts to hold President Biden hostage to their insane budget cut demands in exchange for raising the debt ceiling, or travel advisories being issued for Black and LGBPTQ people against going to Florida, or the Border Patrol shooting at an Arizona tribal elder 38 times in his yard after he called them for help removing some migrants from his property and killing him, or any of the other daily atrocities in the country, I have nothing much to say.

4 comments:

  1. Glad the bunnies are learning! That baseboard job sounds taxing. I wonder if my phone has a macro setting? Must check.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When we first got this house, we applied wainscotting in the hall and in the dining area of the combined living/dining room. We also glued it to the sheetrock and no doubt if anyone wanted to remove it it would tear up the sheetrock.

    I passed similar thing on my way to yog last week only it was a car that slid off the trailer that had become free of the towing car.

    hadn't heard about the killing of the tribal elder. this country is fucked up and I'm beginning to think we won't be able to save it. 20 years from now we'll have a repressive authoritarian government. buh bye democracy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The garage walls looked finished. I'm sure the next owners will be satisfied to leave it be...I know I would. Good work.
    I had read about the tribal leader being shot by the police but not that he had been shot 38 times! That is beyond ridiculous.
    I have a cruise booked out of Fort Lauderdale next year, and had thought I might stay a few extra days at the end of the trip. But that's not happening now. I'll fly in the day prior, overnight in a hotel and head home as soon as the cruise is complete. And I'm not a BIPOC person...the thought of spending more time in the state no longer appeals.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't have any reaction to the first shingles shot except some soreness at the site. I don't get the second shot for another week or so.
    I'm impressed by that "kneeling" for the job. I haven't be able to kneel like that for a couple of years now. I can kneel on one knee at a time but not two.
    Pretty blooms. There is nothing like a home grown tomato. I bet you can't wait.

    ReplyDelete