Wednesday, January 5, 2022

Random Stuff

Well, here it is, the eve of one year since the insurrection.  The orange ectoplasm cancelled his planned speech for tomorrow.  He's now saying he'll cover his topics at the upcoming Arizona super spreader rally.  It never ceases to amaze me that people will go to any crowded event, much less one with the liar in chief as the main attraction.

We went to the grocery store last Sunday, and I have to say that between the trip made just before Christmas and Sunday there has been a significant increase in the price of everything.  Chuck steak, a tough cut of meat suitable only for long slow cooking, is now up to $9 a pound.  Really?  Everything is up.  The drug stores who actually have covid tests in stock are price gouging, I guess it's open season on the consumer.

It has warmed up some.  Today it was a balmy 32F.  We went up the hill on snow shoes.  It was the deepest snow to date.   Some of it had been packed by other people, but some of it was just deep.  Gaiters are our friends.  It was sort of dreary and overcast.  Tonight it snows more and into tomorrow. 


This was actually yesterday morning.  It was snowing then, as well.


I have yahoo mail.  One can create folders for various topics.  The other day I was scrolling through, thinking I should delete some of them because there are a lot, and many are no longer interesting.  What I did see was a folder of pictures.  They're from many sources and I'm not sure what triggered yahoo to extract them and put them in that folder.  Here are some of them.

This was taken in 2016 in Joseph, OR.  It's one of the most beautiful places I've seen.  Just lovely. 


My favorite photo of a trichocereus blossom.  It's hugely cropped.


My favorite church in Tucson.


A tall cactus in the RV park in Tucson where we used to winter.  It's an amazing thing.


My friend Kim took this in 2012 when they were staying in an RV park in Issaquah.  They were there all winter.  I love the lights against the gray of the environment.


Kim took this in Yellowstone in 2010.  It's one of my favorite pictures she's taken.  In addition to being an great photographer, Kim is also an excellent quilter.

 
I believe this is from 2013, after my third foot surgery.  It was very painful, and limited mobility within the RV park.  We bought the yellow Schwinn at Target so I could get around.  It had coaster brakes which I never mastered, I'd just slow down and jump off.  It's now my Facebook profile picture.



So that's it.  Sedition and insurrection, inflation, snow and random photos.

10 comments:

  1. So absolutely love the photos- snow is happening here again as well. Dang it is cold. I admire you for getting out in it! It is all about the gear is it not? May the orange thing bring together all of the orange idiot fans and stab them with covid sticks. The end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The photos are very atmospheric and beautiful. We may get more snow but I don't think it will stay. I hope not! I'm done with winter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was so depressed to hear that he was going to be in Florence and I'm sure the place will be packed. Makes me want to 🤮. Isn't it fun to go back and look at those pictures from years gone by. Bring back wonderful memories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That photo of Yellowstone, taken by your friend, is absolutely beautiful. Now I want to go to Yellowstone:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everything in NYC is literally double the price it was before covid started. I don't know how people are getting by. What a beautiful image of the trichocereus blossom. I hold the firm belief that cropping and editing are perfectly acceptable aspects of photography. I dont hold with the notion that tweaking a photo makes it a lie. Sometimes it makes it more true. And that blossom, in all its dramatic detail, how could that be anything but true.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful photos - though I'll admit I prefer the ones without snow. I'm tired of winter but we're still months away from spring here in Saskatchewan.

    Since I'm a Canadian I don't often like to comment on US politics but your first paragraph echoes my feelings.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How cool, to stumble onto a trove of old photos. I love it when that happens. That trichocereus blossom picture is AMAZING.

    All those Trump folks don't believe Covid is that bad, so they're not the least bit concerned about catching it. And inevitably some of them will die as a result. (Though admittedly maybe with the milder Omicron that danger is lessened.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. President Joe did not mince words today. He blamed Trump though I don't believe he actually used tfg's name. And Merrick Garland says don't worry, we're building our case.

    Nice photos but I am exceedingly glad it doesn't snow here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's how my youngest daughter always exited a bike--jump onto the lawn she was passing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful set of photos, from snow to desert. A long time ago, I used to store photos on a Kodak site and of course we know that Kodak went out of business. Their photo storage site was sold to Shutterfly but I never liked Shutterfly so I started using Flickr. All of a sudden in the last few days, I get emails form Shutterfly with photos they call "memories", all from more than 10 years ago. Makes me wonder about all my photos floating around out there in cyber space.

    ReplyDelete