Thursday, December 30, 2021

More Snow, More Clothing

It snowed yesterday, it is snowing today.  It will probably snow tomorrow.  It snows often here, fortunately not a lot at a time.  In 1954 12.7 inches of snow were measured at the airport.  Personally, I'm voting for frequent, but not a lot. 

There are things to be learned about living in cold country, and yes I know it's worse in Montana or Wyoming but I would never be there.  Yesterday we made pot roast in the slow cooker.  When we slow cooker we like to put it outside so we don't have to smell food all day.  It was about 16F (-8.88C) when we put it on the front porch.  At the time we wondered how that would work.  As it turns out, it worked badly.  After leaving the poor thing out there for 4 hours we brought it in to where it was warm, and it cooked like a champ.  The plastic you see in the picture is a crock pot liner, which is one of the great inventions of our life time.  Pull it out, close with a twist tie and clean up is done.


We bought mittens yesterday.  They are very furry inside and are large enough for glove liners and hand warmers.  They're water proof, wind proof, and are insulated with DownTek, which is a water proof down.  Here's hoping they do the job for the finger tips.  I think merino wool long underwear will be next on the list.  We knew this year would be shockingly expensive given the addition of winter, but next year will not be so bad.  Our REI dividend will be noticeable.

We have not had wet snow thus far.  Here is Jim with the leaf blower removing snow from the driveway.  It's like sand.


This is a very short video I took by mistake because my fingers were on the wrong button.


Last night there was a pretty good sunset.   The camera could not see it, but there was a column of sunset.  It wasn't big, but it was impressive going from the ground up into the clouds.


Today we had planned to drive over to Walgreens for a rapid Covid test, since we can not buy them anywhere.  However, today's snow fall convinced us to cancel.  At this point it would have been moot, anyway.  Last week, 10 or 11 days ago actually, we were both feeling kind of punk.  Today was the first appointment we could get.  According to this graphic, it would have been wasted effort.  A PCR test would have been worthwhile, but they're scarce.  It's sort of like The Hunger Games.


We do have nice neighbors, here is one out doing the sidewalks.  The landscapers apparently no longer consider it as part of their job description.


It's currently 15F, so it's not likely that there will be snow shoeing.  Jim has a pair of furry pants like the ones I bought, so perhaps I will break down and hem them today.

From the department of things could be worse, this is a jack knifed semi blocking all lanes of east bound I90 south of Spokane this morning.


That's it!  That's all there is to report.

8 comments:

  1. You can order self-tests online through the Optum Store, free Fedex Delivery. They aren't cheap ($35 ea,) but then I have been buying the proctored tests, because they meet criteria for returning to the US. It might be worth ordering a couple and keeping them in stock just in case until the OTC ones are more readily available. They are rapid antigen and not as effective, but you can get the result in 15 minutes.

    https://store.optum.com/search?term=covid%20tests&limit=8

    ReplyDelete
  2. I even have to put a cookie sheet in front of my slow cooker to protect it from air conditioner in the summer. Found that out the hard way when we had company for dinner. We have a freeze warning in effect for tonight and I'm not happy. Hope all your mittens and stuff keep your fingers warm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. PCR tests are hard to come by here too and the appointments are so far out that, as you mentioned, they wouldn't do much good. It's miraculous that my older daughter and I found one a couple minutes away last week. Come to find out, we simply have colds. We were sure it was Omicron. Her 19 month old goes to daycare and they flew here from New York so who knows where the bug originated? I haven't had much luck finding any self-tests either; Binax are apparently the gold standard in those. Gorgeous sunset!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hopefully, if you had Covid, it's over with now.

    I wish I could simply use a leaf blower to blow the snow off my driveway. Enjoy your milder weather.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a first! I've not heard of anyone who doesn't love the smell of dinner cooking in the crockport! It's one of the reasons I ever use the thing.... Stay warm! Do you miss the desert ?


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am the same, Suzi! I love the smell of cooking food, so long as it is not something like brussel sprouts...lol!

      Delete
  6. The tow little girl house guests I avoided for a week tested positive for Covid on return to Texas. So far Laura and I are negative.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to chuckle at your outdoor clothing escapades. The stuff that I've had all my life is new to you. It must be strange.

    ReplyDelete