Monday, December 13, 2021

Cookies

Happy mid-December to you all.  Recent days have been moving slowly.

There has been walking up the hill.

The gas log fire place is fixed, we're very happy about that.

Jim and I both got new warm fuzzy pants at Fred Meyer.   It's owned by Kroger's and their big stores have everything.  There is clothing, kitchen stuff, some hardware and food.  These pants are fairly warm.  However, they're really long.  I finally got mine hemmed using the sewing machine.  I have given up on ever getting my serger to work.  The pants are warm, and I do like the Mandalorian.

 Cute, eh?

Fortunately, I have Jim to provide content for the blog.  Today he made Spritz cookies.  I got out both cookie presses and decided to use the newer one.  The new one has a trigger pull that pushes out the cookies.  This is the box the old one lives in, I think this dates from the 1950s.  Notice the spelling of cooky.  My Betty Crocker cook book is also from the 1950s and they spell cooky with a y, as well. 


My old Sunbeam mixer died, and no one would fix it.  I did keep the mixing bowl which we are using today.  Steeper bowl sides are good.  Jim has completed creaming the butter and sugar together and is adding egg yolks.


We do not own a metal spatula.  There used to be many, but they were jettisoned during the great purge of almost everything we owned in 2008.  Notice the cleaver in Jim's right hand.  It works well to pick up the sifted flour and level off the top of the measuring cup.


Extruding the cookie dough.


The top nozzle is the good one.  The bottom one did not work so well.  It made exactly one Christmas tree, the rest were round with dots on their top.  Also, I turned the nozzle over so it extruded less dough.  Please make a note of this.


We packaged up all of the cookies and took them to our neighbors.  One house has brought us bread, home made jelly, and cookies in the past.  We're trying to catch up now since we bought a mixer.  I did not get a picture of any of them, the ones we made with the top attachment were much better looking.  Maybe next time.


10 comments:

  1. Favorite cooky of all time, I loved hanging out in the kitchen with my mother- hers had to be perfect and so many were not. I ate all of the imperfect cookies like they were good for me!

    Love your Jammie pants!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently saw that spelling and was nonplussed. I hadn't remembered that it used to be the singular of cookies. I've never made spritz but admire their beauty. Love the pants!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mom had a very similar cookie (cooky) press and made the best spritz cookies at Christmas time. I bought a plastic one once and my cookies were, at best, a mess, though they did taste fine. I gave it away and went back to drop or rolled out cookies.

    The pants look very comfy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I imagine you could sell that vintage cookie press online for a tidy sum. You still have the original box.

    I'm a fan of fleece in the winter time. It keeps me warm when nothing else will.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't used one of those in ages. I don't have one anymore but my sister does. I think she picked it up at one of the estate sales we went to. I don't make cookies anymore at all. Neither of us needs to have cookies in the house. I've got on my own fleece pants printed with women superheroes though it's not that cold out right now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You had me at fuzzy pants. They're awesome. Fuzzy warm pants and cookies. Life does not get any better than that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, I admire your industriousness for even MAKING cookies! Love the '50s box for the "cooky" press. Funny that the spelling has apparently changed over time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, this brought back memories. I recognize that box. My mother had one just like it. I wonder if one of my sisters has it now. As a kid, those were my favorite cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've made those same cookies since my children were very little. They put on the sprinkles. However, last year my #2 granddaughter decided she needed my cookie press (a 1950 variety I permanently borrowed from my mother long years back) and took it away with her to the far northlands.

    ReplyDelete