Saturday, December 18, 2021

First Time Out on the Snow Shoes

We went snow shoeing with the neighbors.  It was really fun, the best part being that no one fell down and got covered in snow.  Getting the snow gaiters on was also a first.   Here is Jim, demonstrating the snow shoe wardrobe.


The gaiters are good, they keep the bottoms of the pants out of the snow, so they're not wet and cold.  I think next time we may try the black hiking tights, they will probably fit in the gaiter better, but then again I've got the tops of mine cinched as tight as they'll go.  So, maybe a process improvement, maybe not.  It was fun, really fun.  The weather helped, it was 35F (1.7C) so it wasn't all that cold.  I did wear a scarf and was very happy about that.  It was good to be outside.

This is up by the water tower.


Our next door neighbor, he's really nice.  This morning he came over with his battery powered snow blower and helped Jim finish the drive way.

Speaking of the snow blower; the replacement for the bent one they sent us.  It originated in Tacoma, WA, went north to Seattle.  From there it went to Reno, NV.  The shipper has added 1500 miles to the trip by doing that.  One wonders when it will arrive here.  Jim is fairly exercised about this.

Here are the two Lodges, sitting next to each other on the pantry shelf.  When we arrived here I looked at that pantry and thought there was no way we'd fill it up.  Nah, we're already considering what we can take out of it to free up space.  It's funny how that happens, and how little time it takes.


So, now Jim has a bread pot of his own, and the baking can commence.


10 comments:

  1. I live near Tacoma! I can't believe it took a detour to Reno; that's crazy! I've always wanted to try snowshoeing. The gaiters are a great invention.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I wanted to be put in the snow, snow shoeing would be much preferable to skiing. But I'd much rather be here. 😁

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on getting outside on snowshoes! Something fun to do and look forward to now that you live where it snows.
    Box Canyon Mark

    ReplyDelete
  4. The winter version of hiking I guess. Living on the coastal plains of Texas this is something I have never experienced. I did go cross country skiing once when I visited friends in Colorado one winter. That was a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why is it called a Lodge? Is that the brand? I've never heard of a Lodge.

    I can't believe your snow-blower went to Reno! What the heck?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lodge is the brand. They're famous for cast iron cookware, and now have entered the enameled cast iron market. They're a viable alternative to Le Crueset for waaaay less money.

      Delete
  6. I wish our weather was that nice. I'm already sick of winter! I've never snowshoed but those gaiters look very useful.
    It's always good to have good neighbours. Hopefully your snowblower shows up soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like you're having fun and settling into the cold weather routine! I was just saying the same thing about our pantry....how did it fill up that quickly! I've branched out into a shelving unit in the garage for some big things....ugh!
    Merry Christmas you two and a happy new year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's delightful getting caught up with your blog. I missed a couple of chapters!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Snow-shoeing looks fun -- if you gotta have snow, that is. Still, better than rain or drippy hot and humid. Enjoy! I love your two Lodge pots.

    ReplyDelete