Saturday, July 4, 2020

Holiday Snark

Happy Fourth.  I'm having a hard time getting behind any celebration of this country.  I'm pretty much up to here with some people.  This would be one of them.  I'll just leave that right there.


This the Grim Reaper of Florida.  He walks the beaches urging the wearing of masks and social distancing.  He's been arrested at least once.  The link to the video is here.  You really need to play it to fully appreciate what the man in the swim suit said about the Bidens.



So, in addition to bringing in thousands of people to Mount Rushmore with no masks and zip tying the chairs together, setting off fireworks whose aftermath pollutes the ground water, the orange man focused his ire on "cancel culture." How many of his followers do you think understand that phrase?  So, cancel culture and protection of Confederate statues is going to be his platform.  Not one word about the virus that is ripping through the country, tearing up peoples' lives.  There was some pretty good twitter on the subject.






Who does his makeup?  This is terrible.  There was a thread that said he looked like a rotisserie chicken.  Side by side photos made the point.  Washington Post said he looked dewy.


Who remembers Mary Hart?  She did 29 years on Entertainment Tonight.  She always seemed like such a nice lady.  And yet here she is at Mount Rushmore brandishing not one, but two white power signs with her dainty two hands.


I can't post the link to the article that's being quoted here.  Too much ad blocking and horrible jumping ads if you do unblock.  The quote speaks for itself.


In a similar vein we have this quote referenced by SCOTUS when they upheld Alabama's draconian requirements to vote absentee. Voters have to send in a copy of id, two witnesses or a notarized signature, and some other pieces of paper.  In Washington and Oregon people do none of that.  Even AZ allows early voting with not hassle and it's a red state.
Four voters and several groups sued to challenge those restrictions, saying they placed an unlawful burden on the right to vote in light of the health crisis. Making a copy of a piece of identification, for instance, may be difficult and dangerous during the pandemic, they said.
Alabama officials have dismissed that concern. Writing on Twitter, Mr. Merrill said: “When I come to your house and show you how to use your printer I can also show you how to tie your shoes and to tie your tie. I could also go with you to Walmart or Kinko’s and make sure that you know how to get a copy of your ID made while you’re buying cigarettes or alcohol.”
I don't think I've ever read anything more dismissive and condescending.  Alabama is a poor state, I doubt if there is a scanner/printer in every home.

So - that's what I'm thinking about today.  OK, now I'm thinking about this.



8 comments:

  1. There is more mad insanity than I can remember or relate to. Sad, sad, sad. I cannot see Trump staying. But then, I couldn't see him being elected.

    ReplyDelete
  2. because we're supposed to continue to support politicians and companies who do things that show they don't deserve our support? division is all Trump has. and Trump's new approach to the coronavirus it 'live with it'. we haven't displayed out flag since he got elected and won't until he is gone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your summary, sadly, was spot on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I couldn’t resist taking a screen shot of the guy with the maga hat and “sleep mask” and posting it to my Facebook page.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't know that about Mary Hart. Disturbing. That guy in the hat is unbelievable. And, I love Walter's "stable genius" response!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mary Hart?! I had no idea she was a Trumper. How sad.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am ashamed to admit I don't even know what the "cancel culture" is, but if Trump is against it, I am probably a card-carrying member -- without even knowing it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Every year we have a large 3rd of July party. Our lake holds a ring of fire celebration where everyone places red flares along the lakeshore at 10 pm sharp. It's really beautiful with the lake lined in red and fireworks going off everywhere. The last few years, however, I've not felt happy about decorating with red white and blue, flags, etc. I'm sad to say I haven't felt proud to be an American. The color scheme of our paper plates, banners and twinkle lights has evolved to the colors of the lake in summer - no American Flags for us, especially this year. sigh

    ReplyDelete