Wednesday, October 2, 2019

Deer Park to La Grande, OR

This is how the morning started.  Cold!  Really cold.


We drove I90, US395, I82 to I84. The Android GPS was so interesting.  It started telling us that I90 was closed.  Closed!!  A major interstate was closed.  According to the phone it was closed at exit 245.  She called for a 10 mile detour.  Nope, no closure.  We pressed on.


Here we are at exit 231.  Yes, there was a closure.  They're taking a bridge down, but the detour consisted of exiting the freeway and then re-entering via the on ramp.  I do have to wonder what goes on the brain of the GPS.


It's a pretty drive.  Look at the row of trees.  I think that's a wind break.  The dark part in the middle is a group of big shade trees. It's had to see, but there's a house in the middle.  This is out in the middle of nowhere.


Wheat.


I think the yellow plants are canola.


Here we are crossing the Columbia River.


There was a sign warning of  "solar glare."  What?  It's because of the solar panels.


Today we drove the 12 mile climb that we descended on June 20That was on the way to Walla Walla from Idaho. 


So we're in La Grande, OR.  It's not as cold as Deer Park, but the wind is unbelievable.  The gusts are moving the bus from side to side.  That's pretty good against a 35,000 pound vehicle.

8 comments:

  1. I've never heard of "solar glare"! Those trees are interesting, planted out on the plains like that. I suppose a windbreak must be necessary in that environment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a fabulous area. I don't remember the solar panels, but the wind ..... oh yeah!! That's why the long row of trees. A wind break to protect whatever crop they were growing. Not my cup of tea, all that wind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where are you ultimately headed, or are you just exploring?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are headed to Tucson for the winter. We're ready to be back.

      Delete
  4. I've never seen a sign warning of solar glare! We NEVER use a GPS when traveling in the motorhome - it's too often unreliable and that is OK in a passenger vehicle but unacceptable in a big bus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We use paper maps as well as the GPS. The paper map lets us know when the GPS wants to do something truly stupid. I really like to know HOW MUCH FARTHER by looking at the phone.

      Delete
  5. one year we took a month long driving trip up through Montana and Idaho to Seattle and back down through the western states. what I remember about Montana and Idaho was hay. never saw so much hay in my life as was stacked up in fields and barns and open warehouses!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Canola is a marketing ploy. It is rape seed. This country decided it couldn't be marketed as such, and settled on "canola", for Canada (a major source of rape seed) and oil. It still is called rape seed in England.

    ReplyDelete