Thursday, June 13, 2019

The Grand Canyon

We tired!  It was a 140 mile day, but it was worth the drive.  The Grand Canyon is just amazing.  After awhile you just run out of words.


Look pretty much center photo.  This is how people die in the national parks.  The fenced area is to the left, out of frame.  The standing person is posing, their friend is taking pictures.  Hopefully they will not go out to the edge and fall off.  That would hurt.


We started at the visitor's center and looked at the canyon there.  Then we got back in the truck and drove east and stopped at various viewpoints.  If you were pressed for time, I would skip Mather Point which is near the visitor center, and head east on 64.  There are fewer people, it's easier to move around, and it's just as gorgeous.





This is the Desert View Watchtower.  It's near the east entrance to the park.  The tower was originally built in 1932 by architect Mary Elizabeth Jane Colter in collaboration with Hopi artisans of the day, including well-known Hopi artist Fred Kabotie.  Its design was based on other structures Ms Colter had seen in the area.


There's a raven in this picture, riding the wind.  I don't think he ever flapped his wings.  Bottom left is the Colorado River.




There were more controlled burns in the area, so picture quality suffered from smoke in the canyon.  Sorry about that.

6 comments:

  1. I don't get why anyone would stand on the edge to have their pic taken, much less anyone who does a selfie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it just the most fabulous place? I spent a month there not too many years ago at the "employee" RV park. I think I could live there!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic photos. I haven't been up there for about three years. I need to visit again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. in my early 20s my then husband and I drove around the US and went to the Grand Canyon. we hiked down to the halfway point where the little campground is, took 2 hours, and the view was basically the same from halfway down as it was from the top! that's how deep that thing is. took us over 6 hours to hike back up and it was nearly dark by the time we made it. I thought I was going to die.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Truly spectacular. I saw the Grand Canyon in 1983, when I was 16, and I haven't been back since. I'm overdue for a visit! I can't believe that person standing out on that ledge. As you said, that's how people die -- especially when they're on crumbly sandstone.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it. When we visited in 2006 (my first and only time), I got tears in my eyes when I first looked over the rim. It is truly something that has to be seen to be believed, as photos are flat and truly cannot show it. Every American should try to get there at least once in his or her life -- it is one of the wonders of the world.

    ReplyDelete