Sunday, February 26, 2017

Doing Time with the Plague

Greetings Earthlings! I am slowly returning to the land of the living.  What ever the heck I caught last Friday has been the second worst thing I can remember catching.  The pneumonia was worse, but this was a very close second.
I have not done much of anything except lay on the couch.  We went for a drive Wednesday to see if we could locate an entry point for a mountain bike trail (the Honey Bee) we were interested in.  It's really pretty up in Oro Valley.  The mountains are just lovely.

We made a stop at the Honey Bee Canyon Park to see if the entry point might be there.  After wandering around for about 15 minutes, I got tired and we abandoned the search.

We found an entry point later by the Methodist Church.  Mark says we're going to have to download the mtbproject app to have a map, because nothing out there is signed, and there are many opportunities for being lost.

Thursday we broke down and went to the doctor.  I got more antibiotics and some Prednisone to help with the swelling in my sinus cavities.  I hate Prednisone.

Friday I was better, so we went out to Gilbert Ray for a happy hour at Mark and Bobbie's site.  They have excellent real estate.

It was really nice to be out of the RV and talk to other people.  It's been awhile since we've seen members of the hiking consortium.

Today was a long visit to Barnes and Noble.  Jim's Nook can no longer download anything.  After a couple of hours of factory re-setting and attempting to reload the library, it was clear that it's a dead electronic.  So now he has a new one.

We saw this on the way out of the RV park.  That is a very big truck on a narrow street, about to extract an old park model.

Today is the last day of the Prednisone the doctor prescribed Thursday, I quit.  Did you know that Prednisone causes insomnia?  After nine days of not sleeping due to coughing, then because I couldn't breathe, now steroids are keeping me up.  Steroids! Hopefully a couple of more days and this will be over.

Other than this, I have nothing of interest to offer.


  1. What a "trooper," leaving your deathbed to attend our happy hour gathering. I promise a hug when you get over your disease :). Let us know if you feel good enough for a ride... maybe we can squeeze one in before leaving the area.
    Mark and Bobbie

  2. Bummer! Scott has been on that evil steroid for a few days and not sleeping but the breathing is easier. At least there was Happy Hour!

  3. OH man, I am so sorry you have been so sick! Be careful with Prednisone. It gave my stepfather some really terrible side effects. In addition to horrible insomnia, it gave him the shakes so bad for so long after being off it, he was sent to be tested for Parkinson's! (Negative, thankfully). He also felt generally "off" for a long time after going off, very tired, lost a ton of weight, had no appetite, and worried us all to death. I secretly feared he had cancer. He's all better now, but it took several MONTHS to get back to normal after going off it. I hope you won't have such severe side effects.

  4. Good to hear you're on the mend and getting back to what you enjoy.