Sunday, July 4, 2010

Greetings from the GPNW

Greetings from the Great Pacific North West. We arrived July 1, and started reminding ourselves that summer does not start until after July 4. Lots and lots of reminding. Vicki and Dave fed us wonderfully our first night here. They bought an entire Coho salmon at Costco and filleted it. I do not know how to do that. It was just yummy, cooked on a cedar plank with a really good fish sauce.


Friday the weather was abysmal. Jim went to visit his Mom and I did hardly anything at all. Saturday was much improved so we went for a short bike ride up and down hills. We were climbing up Newport, which is not a steep grade, but it's noticeable, and I was riding well and feeling good about my fitness level in general, when my beloved husband brought it to my attention that we are once again at sea level. Bend is 3,500 to 4,000 feet. I think we still have extra red blood cells which are making us feel young. Wonder how long they will stick around?
These are salmon sculptures at the Issaquah fish hatchery.


Saturday evening we had dinner with Naomi and Touf. Touf's Mom is visiting from Morocco. It was a very fun evening. This is their view off the deck.

Today was a big ride - 47 miles, the longest ride we've done all year. I know, how pitiful is that? It was the Black Diamond bakery ride. It goes out into the toolies, and is a very pleasant ride.


The Green River Gorge.


Vicki and Dave admiring the Gorge.


After the ride, we went back to the bakery and had meatloaf sandwiches as big as our heads, and those are the half sizes. I'm feeling like a python that swallowed a pig even after several hours have passed.
Remember, summer does not start until after July 4 - this is the weather we had on the way home.

So, here we are in the Issaquah RV Village park, waiting for it to be summer. Any day now, I'm certain of that.

Happy Fourth of July!

No comments:

Post a Comment