Thursday, August 3, 2023

Bike Rack, Shoes, Bees and the Arraignment

We spent last Saturday and Sunday building a bike rack to put in the trailer that we will be towing to Tucson.  It does require than we take the front wheels off, but we're getting better with that, and with fixing the brake calipers which inexplicably tighten up the second the wheel is dropped.  It's so aggravating, I'm trying to get that moved into my "it is what it is" category so I quit being peeved about it.  This is rack number four; it's been 10 years since we built one so it did require careful and slow re-reading of the blog post that detailed what we did.  It's good to have a blog to write stuff down.

One thing we do is outline the pieces that are going on the plywood sheet, and drill holes from the top so we know where to insert the screws from the underside.  Then we glue the pieces to the top, and turn the whole thing over on its face.  Hot glue is excellent for this.  I used to have a giant glue gun that dispensed mass amounts of glue.  It, and my small glue gun, apparently went over the side when we emptied out the bus.  So I bought a new small glue gun. 

Does this look like a Barbie tool?  I mean really.  It was seduced by the carry case.  It is nice to have somewhere to keep it.


These are the bits we glued prior to screwing from the underside.


And..... this is the glue gun behaving badly on the last piece to go on.  Glue ceased going out the tip, backed up in the main part of it, and proceeded to come out the wrong end.  We eked out enough glue to get it done and tossed the wretched thing in the trash. 


So, now we have this.  It still needs handles and anchor points, but it's too hot to spend much time in the garage.  Maybe tomorrow.

This has been the summer of trying to buy shoes.  Given the state of my wretched feet, I generally plan to spend months on it.  As I previously mentioned, the Hoka Bondi 8 upgrade was a disaster for me. I'm pretty unhappy about this.  A google search on "shoes that are like Hokas" gave me a list, and I ordered one of everything.  All but one went back.  This is a Saucony Triumph 20, a brand I've never worn before.  Today they passed the vacuuming and cleaning the floor test.  I spent a couple of hours on my feet and there were no hot spots or major pain.  They are not as cushioned as a Hoka, but at present Hoka is dead to me.


The heel is pretty weird, sort of like a Hoka, but not.


So, maybe I have new shoes, maybe not.

In the Sonoran desert the bees are dying.  It's so hot, and so dry, that they can't maintain temperature in the hives.  Some of the hives are melting, it's just tragic.  If you're in the area, put out shallow pans of water for the bees.  More from CNN on this.

Meanwhile, in Washington, DC, the orange ectoplasm was arraigned.  I am very disappointed that there were no mug shots, hand cuffs or a perp walk, but he was told by the magistrate that if he continued to try to interfere with witnesses or jurors he'd be put in jail.  Jail would be good.  The Wall Street Journal, a conservative outlet owned by Rupert Murdoch, who support the orange guy had this to say.


The World Wildlife Fund has a new ad.  It's pretty good.


That's it!  Bike rack and perhaps shoes.

9 comments:

  1. Building your bike rack is very clever! Sorry about the Barbie glue gun, that is sad and does not speak well for pink.
    Glad you maybe have found wearable shoes. Maybe...ongoing search...forever till we die!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done with the bike rack. Yes, it is good to have a blog where one keeps notes of past successes.
    Good luck with the shoes. I like the WWF ad - very well designed.
    As for IQ45, the photo clearly illustrates his petulant personality.

    ReplyDelete
  3. and there he is, the quintessential spoiled pouty manboy. the sheriff in Georgia says there WILL be a mugshot.

    looks like the bike rack will take up the whole trailer. or maybe that's what the trailer is for, belongings in the car.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a good WWF ad! I hadn't seen that before.

    I don't think Murdoch supports Trump, actually -- which shows how far out in right-field Trump really is. Murdoch is an odious human being but even he sees the inherent danger in Trump. Fox News and the WSJ have been critical of Trump, and the Murdochs even fired Tucker Carlson, his most high-profile apologist.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fingers crossed for the current shoe. It's a tough search, I know.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the Twitter/X Meme, Elon is effectively mismanaging everything, Ego won't sustain him, I'm beginning to think any Success he ever enjoyed must have been a fluke or someone else making his decisions for him before? As for 45, may he go broke fighting Indictment after Indictment and may he Die in disgrace while Imprisoned. Cult Leaders generally either end up Dead by their own Hand or offed by those they threaten.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are the shoes I've been wearing for the last eight months and they work well for me.
    https://www.saucony.com/CA/en_CA/tempus/52012W.html?dwvar_52012W_color=S10720-05

    ReplyDelete
  8. I needed new shoes and decided to just go ahead and order some while I've got the shoes on my computer, so thanks for the push I needed to get new shoes:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Twitter/WWF ad is brilliant. Musk's latest move to remove the bird finally got me off my tush to delete my account, which I have had for many, many years. Rarely used it, though, and was just fed up with him. Glad the shoes might work! Bike hitch rack looks fab; we used to have one similar that Barry built, back when we had quick releases; actually, we still do on our old bikes, but you're correct that the new ones have done away with that.

    ReplyDelete