Thursday, August 31, 2023

This Plant Must Go

We're tired!  Tuesday we took out a giant Barberry that was intent on world domination.  I do not, and will not ever understand the thinking of the previous owners when it came to planting giant bushes and trees close to the house or to each other.  Our most excellent neighbor was out Tuesday morning pulling a tree out of his front yard with a webbing strap and his pick up truck.  I asked him if maybe he would like to pull out the Barberry, and he said sure.  It's pretty cool, put strap around base of trunk, let truck pull it out.  


It's been cut back twice this year, but it keeps on growing.  The wood is bright yellow, which is weird.  Neighbor came back with his chain saw and cut off the root ball, and then chunked up the top section of the bush.


There was a lot of vegetation to deal with.  We borrowed a neighbor's yard waste container and filled it and ours on Tuesday.



The two cans took care of about 2/3 of the bush, this morning yard waste was collected, and then we went out and cleaned up the rest of the corpse.  It is so nice to have this done and have that wretched bush removed.  Timing was good, it started raining Tuesday afternoon, all night, and all day yesterday.

So much better now that it's gone.

Last night was the first night we turned on the furnace.  It was really damp and cold.  Yes, I know cold is relative, but I was cold. 

I read an alarming article by Thom Hartmann this morning.  It's a really long read, but worth it.  He describes in detail what the orange ectoplasm has in mind to do if he's re-elected.  It is absolutely necessary that this does not happen.  A short form was on twitter today.



I'm not sure how they get around the fact that most of those federal workers are unionized, but I guess they believe they'll think of something.

Well, there is dinner to be made, so I think I will not talk about the trials and the fact that Mark Meadows perjured himself when he said he was not involved in the fake electors scandal and I really hope he gets charged with perjury on top of everything else.


8 comments:

  1. I read enough of that article to make me feel sick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We used that wrap and yank technique years ago when we cleared a back pasture at the farm. Dave wrapped a logging chain around a tree stump and I "yanked" with the tractor, then dragged the uprooted tree away and came back for more.....ah youth!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like you, I wonder how they'll get around the unions. I suppose they think the courts are (ultimately) on their side. I'll take a look at that article though it will probably give me nightmares.

    I am loath to kill any plant, but I must admit your porch looks better with that bush gone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Project 2025 is the culmination of decades of efforts by far right christian nationalists. they want to shut down every oversight agency, defund the DOJ and FBI and then use them to jail their opponents, fire as many federal works as they can and replace them all with loyalists, shift a lot more power to the presidency, essentially turning our democracy into an authoritarian state. and they already have a list of people waiting in the wings to take over.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I suppose IQ45 believes he can do anything he likes, with impunity. Perhaps these next four trials will abuse him of that idea.
    In any event, firing 50,000 taxpayers and cutting services to American citizens surely wouldn't endear the GOP to many people. I guess they figure as long as they get theirs, it's all good. (Our conservative party has pretty much the same ideas and I suspect we'll be under their rule in 2025). Scary times ahead for both of our countries.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm working for a democratic president in 2024

    ReplyDelete
  7. I guess the fire danger has passed, and I am relieved for you. Now send some of that rain to us; we need it! We got a passing shower from Idalia, but most of her rain went south and east of us. It's back to 90s after a few cooler days that reminded me fall is coming. Glad you got the offending bush pulled out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If 45 or any of his MAGAt devotees are Elected it will be worse than even the alarmed are sure it would be. I don't even believe most of his rabid Base are intellectually informed enuf to realize what they would be aiding and what it would mean to most of them that have enjoyed a great Democracy and have never even visited a Dictatorship, let alone live under the oppression of one.

    ReplyDelete