Tuesday, February 6, 2024

Lost Jacket, No Immunity and the Grammys

The weather has just been dismal today.  Thick clouds, dark clouds, a brief wind event and a little rain was our lot.  We set out to go to the grocery store; before leaving I reached in the closet for my light weight fleece jacket that I have had since the mid-2000s, and it was not there.  It was not in the car.  It is nowhere to be found.  I am bereft, it was the perfect weight for Safeway air conditioning which is very cold.  It really is going to be a tough act to follow.  It's difficult to find practical clothing for women these days, no pockets, shirts are too short, the list goes on.  I ordered a men's microfleece jacket from Amazon, hopefully it will be adequate. However, I really miss my jacket.

The DC Circuit has ruled that the former terrible president does not have immunity.  It was unanimous on the part of the three judge panel.  It was a long decision, and hopefully written so well that the Supreme Court will look at the appeal and just say Nah.   The lawyers have until Monday the 12th of February to file.  Monday!

Laurence Tribe put up these and several other tweets today.  I like the fact that precedent goes back to 1882.  


And finally there is this.  Kavanaugh and Gorsuch, of the current Supreme Court, have already said no one is above the law.  

 


Cross your fingers.  He could be indicted for something, anything, before the elections.

Who watched the Grammys?  I did not, but after the internet was flooded with Tracy Chapman, I paid attention.  She released "Fast Car" in 1987.  Given the state of popular music at the time, her music was brave.  She had lyrics that meant something.  Luke Combs, a country singer, recently covered the song, won a country music award, and the two of them played the Grammys.  It was a magical performance.  Rolling Stone has a brief article here.  There is a Wiki page hereInc magazine has an article with the video.  The thing that was so cool was the audience's reaction to her, they were happy to see her.  She looks like she was happy to be there. 

That's it, that's all I have to say about these things.

Oh wait - here is some weird science here about how if you microwave halved grapes they release plasma.  It's very interesting.


6 comments:

  1. 37paddington: I really loved seeing and hearing Tracy Chapman again, what a voice and a spirit, and I also loved how respectful and loving Luke Combs was to be performing her hit with her that he’d loved since he was a little kid. Their connection gave me hope for America.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved that song and loved her voice. As for trump, YES!!!! Finally some good news. Nobody is above the law, not even a piece of shit like him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember what a huge impact that Tracy Chapman album had. It was such a breath of fresh air, with meaningful songs that actually became hit records. I played it constantly in my car (on cassette!). Sorry about your jacket! Maybe it will turn up?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hopefully, the jacket shows up in a lost and found somewhere - perhaps you took it off on one of your hikes/rides.
    One hopes the Supreme Court takes notes of the wording and declines the appeal. I would think IQ45's lawyers would be preparing for an appeal, but then again, he doesn't hire the best and brightest...because most of them are smart enough to realize he rarely pays his bills.
    I lived under a rock for much of the 80's and early 90's (small children, single mother, too busy) so I can honestly say I never hear of Tracy Chapman. I did go listen to Fast Car before commenting - she has a lovely voice and the lyrics are interesting.
    Ok, who decides to throw grapes in a microwave in the first place?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never watch award shows and the video on X has been removed due to copyright infringement. I remember the song though from back in the day.

    I was worried the DC court would not do the right thing so I have hope since I think two of the judges were Trump appointees. the thing that amuses me about Trump's claim of total and forever immunity from criming while in office is it doesn't seem to occur to them that if the court agreed with total immunity then President Biden would also have absolute immunity from any criminal action like sending Seal Team 6 after Trump and his MAGAt republicans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The three-judge panel who issued the ruling Tuesday includes two judges, J. Michelle Childs and Florence Pan, who were appointed by Joe Biden and one, Karen LeCraft Henderson, who was appointed by George H.W. Bush.

      Delete