Sunday, October 23, 2022

Cold Walking

It may be that any sort of bicycling may be over for the year.  It hasn't reached 52F (our low temperature cut off) since the high pressure ridge collapsed on Thursday.  The previous day it made it to 70F, the next day was 25 degrees cooler with rain.  Today is a beautiful sunny day, but it's cold.  I know, cold for me is not cold for many of you because I am a wimp. 

Yesterday we walked up the big hill. 
12:05 departure, 48F.  We were both wearing Columbia pants, 3/4 zip stand up collar capilene shirts, and fishing shirts on top.  Glove liners were worn as were ear bras under the hats.  It was chilly, I think our kit was a little light.  Here is part of the trail.  Note the abundance of pine needles.  There is also a lot of critter poop, one must watch where one steps.


So we're back on the spin bikes in the basement.  When we left the basement in the spring to ride outside we did not suffer too much.  The spin bike work outs had left us with a pretty good fitness base for the outside riding.  Much to my surprise, the reverse is not true.  I'm doing a 20 minute class to ease back into it, and it is just kicking my butt.  My theory is that on the spin bike you never get to rest.  Your feet are being driven by the fly wheel, so there is always work - no coasting.  I am happy to report that the silicone quieted the flywheel down completely.  I played the noise for you in this post.  There is zero noise.  So there you go.

The succulent continues its weird growth pattern.  One wonders how tall it will get.  That's a four inch pot it's in.


Things are still depressing out in the world, and I am once again leaving them out there.  I have a spin class to take.

7 comments:

  1. Spin classes around me advertise the weight to be lost. Go figure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spin, if you must. The succulent is like ours which grew tall and then fell over and wrapped around itself and the pot. I just re-potted it after giving it a chop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spinning is a good idea..we have two set up, looking out of a spare bedroom window. Not sure that I could ride in a windowless room, but each to their own!
    That looks a good walk. We have to travel to get decent walks unfortunately

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have some strange-looking succulents too. Good luck with the spinning! It always takes a while to adapt to seasonal changes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My routine does not change according to the season. Yoga class three times a week (and at home the other four days if I'm being good) and walking the dog every day unless it's just too terrible out there.

    Our early voting starts today and after I've voted that's all I can do. The craziness and lies and crazy lies coming from the republicans are just getting more intense and more ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is a huge difference between damp cold and dry cold. I never realized that until one winter I spent three weeks in a more humid climate. The moisture that is ever present just seems to suck the cold into one's body. In any event, I don't the cold regardless and seek at least a couple of weeks relief from it when I can.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am completely with you on being a weather wimp. Living in Belize, Florida, and Mexico have ruined me for winter. I've been riding my Trek on the trainer regularly for about a month now, other than a couple of warm days when we ventured out on the road. I will hike in pretty much any temperature, but bicycle, no. Especially when there is a chilly breeze. Glad the silicone worked!

    ReplyDelete