Monday, October 10, 2022

Rocks and Birds

Greetings People of Earth.  It was another glorious day.  One hopes this weather pattern will continue, since we do not get our sprinkler system blown out until next Friday.  I'm actually not that concerned with the possibility of freezing temperatures between now and then.  We moved it out from the original date because it's still warm enough and dry enough that there needs to be some watering done.

We walked up the big hill today, and then bush whacked down the steep side of the hill to see how many trees have been marked for the fire reduction plan.  It did not seem like all that many.  

Here is the big rock at the top of the hill.


Here is debris that will burn nicely in the event of a fire.

This house is built on a very big rock.  It's amazing how large the rock protrusions are in this neighborhood.

We had quail visiting today.  I took these through the sliding glass door, and through the fence on the deck, so I'm surprised the camera focused on anything.  This is the male, who is sitting on the big rock in the back yard.  His job is to scan for danger, alert the troops, and herd them all to safety.  He is very attentive.


This is his mate, and I think two of their off spring.  They're teenagers now.  Look behind her and you can see the two young birds behind her.  She spent some time digging out a little wallow so she'd be comfortable while resting.



This is my spin bike, those are my feet.  This is the most annoying noise I have ever heard.  It actually gets worse the longer the spin class goes on.  We called Nautilus, who owns Schwin, today and they told us to put treadmill silicone on the flywheel.  I've ordered the silicone, here's hoping it works, otherwise it will be a long indoor riding season.  The video is only 9 seconds.


Are these not beautiful birds?  The photo is off twitter and I can't remember what they're called.


Someone else made this.


So other than my festering anxiety about the mid-terms, I have nothing else to tell you today.

7 comments:

  1. The quail are such pretty birds! And the blue ones are striking. We've nothing like that here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The spin , to me, sounds dreamworldish- Sci-fi whirring. I rather like it. Your legs look like you are thirteen years old, able to leap over tall buildings! "Give them the blue bird" is brilliant! At this point in our brokeness, I am not so much feeling defeated as utter despair, humans are to blame for every thing wrong on this planet. The dead guy on a stick did nothing but inspire nonsense- Buddha observed human nature, and checked out. Mother Teresa milked it - and we think that the Orange Wad is poor form?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are the birds buntings? They are so beautiful.

    That noise would make me stop biking; it's horrible.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The birds are indigo buntings maybe. The landscape is not so interesting around here unless you think crops, fallow fields, and pastures are interesting. It's flat flat flat on the Gulf coast Plains.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The richly colored birds are likely grandalas, native to the Indian subcontinent and China.

    ReplyDelete
  6. May our nation survive the midterms, and what beautiful blue birds.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That spin bike noise would drive me nuts. I have an old-timey mag trainer, and it is kind of noisy as well, but not in such an odd way. The birds are beautiful; I was going to suggest Indigo Buntings, but I think Elsa Louise's ID is probably more likely correct...they look too bright and fat to be buntings. Then again, on a chilly day, they would fluff up, and we all know what phone filters can do with photos!

    ReplyDelete