Sunday, April 7, 2019

Hike and Birds

Yesterday was a lovely day.  We hiked in the morning.  There were white puffy clouds.



The ocotillos are blooming.


After we got back, there was stalking of the baby birds.  Look at the feathers!  All of a sudden there are feathers.


Today there was bike riding (no pictures) and more baby stalking.  It was funny, I went out to get a picture of the blooming prickly pear.  I heard a hummingbird, and then saw her shadow on the ground.  She was circling my head, telling me to leave the area.  I did as she requested and went inside.  She went to make a food delivery.  It's a terrible picture, too much sun.  Anyway, I just love being herded by HRH.



This is the state of the babies today.  Those are tail pin feathers on the one on the right.


There is a new behavior on the part of the older chick.  S/he gets on the top edge of the side of the nest and grooms and looks around.



If that bird falls on the ground and gets hurt, I'm pretty sure it will be the end of me.  They can not fledge soon enough so we can quit worrying about them.  Too much nature!



5 comments:

  1. They grow up so fast!!! Great pictures!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It won't be long now til they fledge. I imagine the nest is feeling pretty crowded. and what a gorgeous blue sky. I didn't realize prickly pears bloomed pink. all the ones I've seen bloom yellow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We get a lot of pink and yellow, plus there is a lovely coral shade that is less frequent. There is a plant in the RV park where we used to stay that had three different colors on the same plant.

      Delete
  3. I lived in the same two houses for fifty plus years. I mostly grew cactus and succulents. Easiest to keep alive. Oh, the thrill of having blossoms.
    We're all cheering on the hummers. You can tell them that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always amazing how such an alien looking plant can make such nice flowers.

      Delete