Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Notes from the Frontier

If you follow Dr. Sanjay Gupta on Twitter, you may already know this. For those of you who don't, here is a very interesting report on Alzheimers detection. Apparently there is a marker in your cerebral spinal fluid that correlates very highly with the future development of Alzheimers. Thus, one could conceivably have a diagnosis prior to becoming symptomatic. So, if the testing were widely available, would you find out? I'd have to think about that one for awhile.

On a different thought, does everyone know about Zappos.com? Free shipping, free returns. I ordered yesterday, and the first pair showed up today. There are two more pairs winging their way to me. I should have done them all at once, but I didn't. Anyway, I have feet from hell to buy shoes for; not an A width, not a B width, somewhere in between, and they're bony and they pronate and the orthotics must fit in there. I could go on and on, but I'll spare you that. Anyway, it's a very good site, I generally order up everything that even looks promising, bracket my size on either side, and wait for UPS to bring me shoes. So there is no exasperated salesman wishing I would just buy something and leave, it's a much better process.

Since 1949, Seattle has had a summer festival called Seafair. They have pirates, hydroplane races, and the Blue Angels do an airshow over Lake Washington. This year it rained and was cold and very cloudy. Saturday they did the flat show, and Sunday they did the low show, so it was a muted event. But the brave Northwesterners were out there wearing big plastic garbage bags to stay dry and enjoying it anyway.
This is an F-18 flying just below Mach1. It's too bad they won't let them go supersonic, I love that sound.

Fat Albert - he carries support staff and and stuff for the show.

Not too much to report from the GPNW. Summer is supposed to return later this week, we're looking forward to that. Jim went to see his Mom today, so I guess I will try to accomplish some of those pesky errands we don't seem to get around to doing. Hope you are all well and happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment