Saturday, June 17, 2023

Yard and Wheat

Time marches on - June is half way over.  My contact lenses come in packets of 5, and it's amazing how often I'm starting in on a new group of lenses.  We were supposed to ride today, but I had one of those nights of waking up every hour on the hour and I am whooped.  I gave up on the idea of sleep and read a New Yorker until I could get up and roust Jim.  So, there may be a trip to Home Depot for a pitch fork to provide an outing.  Do we know how to have fun or what?

What have we been doing?  There has been, as is usual, riding to the lake.  There was a walk up the hill, which once again proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that there is zero cross over between bike and hike.  It's sad, really.

Here is a big rock covered in pine needles.


Still life with tomatoes.  We buy the tub of Cherubs, cut them in half, cook at 400F for 11 minutes, and then freeze them.  It's nice having tomatoes in the house, and them not growing mold because we didn't eat them fast enough.


Scenes from the yard.  The Mandevilla is blooming, but not getting much bigger.  It probably is not getting enough sun.


The Maple (giant tree, center) continues on its path towards world domination.  Hopefully the trees will drop their leaves this winter, and the arborist neighbor can prune the tree back some.

This is what the wretched deer did to my arborvitae this past winter.  This will take years to fill in.  This year we will be wrapping everybody in deer netting to prevent this.


This is growing next door.  Blueberry maybe?


The new rhody has wilted a couple of times.  We decided it had been root bound, and we had not slashed the roots or trimmed the bottom of the root ball.  So we dug it up yesterday and did all of those things.  We also rotated it about half way around, and it looks better in its spot.   So, hopefully, he'll be happier now.


From the department of bad news we read the following.


That's it, that's all there is. 

4 comments:

  1. That sure looks like a blueberry to me. You could filch just one for a taste test.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The deer decimated my daughter's trees this winter - they were there when she moved in. Since she didn't like the trees, she had her handyman take them down. Yours look far better than hers ever did.
    I'm afraid the harvests this year are going to be poor across North American. We're truly seeing the results of the climate change.

    ReplyDelete
  3. definitely blueberry. climate change and just plain hate is going to cause food shortages and sky high prices. all florida's crops are rotting in the fields and on the trees and construction has come to a screeching halt because of DeSantis basically making being an immigrant in Florida illegal so there has been a mass migration out by legal and illegal immigrants and, big surprise, white people don't want to pick crops or build houses. too hard, too hot, too little pay.

    the rhodie should do better now. anytime I buy a plant from a nursery, they're always root bound in that weird peat moss potting medium they use that surprisingly doesn't really absorb water and I have to loosen up the roots before planting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never knew a deer would eat an arborvitae! I guess they eat pretty much everything. I love Mandevilla but I'm not sure we could grow it here. I never see it, anyway.

    ReplyDelete