Saturday, August 1, 2026

We Are Evacuated

We are evacuated.  We're in an absolutely horrible hotel in Spokane Valley.  I think we got the last vacancy.  I'm hoping to go somewhere else tomorrow, but we have this booked just in case.  There are many screaming children.  

The winds were driving the fire.  It was able to jump the Spokane river.  One of our neighbors has an app that shows the fire taking a turn to the west.  So, unless the wind direction changes, our neighborhood should still be standing.  I have no idea how long before we can go back in.  Before we left, the police were going door to door telling people to get out.  We hid from them because we weren't ready to go.  We ended up leaving the jeep and the bikes so that we could be in the car together.  Traffic getting to the freeway was just horrendous.

The Veterans' Hospital has been evacuated, shelters are full. This is the worst thing I've ever been in.  This is from the kitchen window, when we first realized things were bad.



The smoke as seen from I90 on the way to Spokane Valley.


The police put crime scene tape on the post light.  Not sure why.

This is a crown fire, meaning that fire is jumping between tops of trees.  That sort of fire spreads quickly.  A wildfire is fought differently than a crown fire.  Crown fires require water to be placed on the tree tops, wild fires are fought with setting back burns and digging fire breaks.  Washington has made a disaster declaration.  National Guard is mobilized.  

Here is a happy thing.


So, this is what's happening with us.

Update, Jim just talked to the neighbor who lives up at the end of the street.  Fire was approaching his house, fire fighters arrived in the nick of time, and he suffered no damage.  The rest of the hood is good.

 

11 comments:

  1. OMG, I just read about the Spokane fire in the NYT this morning and immediately came to your blog to check to see if you'd had to evacuate. I hope your neighborhood stays untouched. I can't imagine. Fire is so incredibly scary. No matter how bad the hotel is, it's worth it to stay safe. Hopefully you can go back home soon and all is okay there. Thinking of you both!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this after I received an email from a friend who was evacuated from the big fire in Lacanau south of Bordeaux last week - and was just able to return, his place was spared. Keep your spitits up whichever way works best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scary thing to go through and I'm glad you two are ok.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do hope your home is spared! Scary times.
    It will be devastating for those who have lost homes, businesses, and so forth. I can't imagine what they will be going though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh! That's scary! I hope your neighborhood escapes damage.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been seeing horrifying photos of the fire; I hope they can get it under control. My late father worked for the forest service in the Roslyn/Cle Elum area and said that crown fires were the absolute worst. Glad you're OK but sorry about the awful accommodation. I've stayed a couple times in Spokane Valley and not been impressed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're here for two nights, and then we're thinking about going elsewhere in the state until power is restored. Spokane Valley is a lot like Kingman, AZ.

      Delete
  7. I am glad you evacuated. The smoke in your photo shows the fire is very close and that has to be very dangerous and scary.
    I read your update and am glad to know the houses are okay on your street. Waiting for the power to be restored before moving back is a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This stressed me out just reading is Allison! OMG, what an Ordeal you all are going thru, I have no Words and am Reading your Posts backwards since I've been away a few days from keeping up with Blog Reads. Stay Safe my Friend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I too am reading backwards, due to being away from blog reading and am saddened and horrified over your ordeal. Everything I could write seems of little consequence, so know we're all thinking of you, praying for you in Spokane, and hoping for the best possible outcome.

    ReplyDelete