We've been downgraded to Level One, which is Get Ready. We can't go to sleep on this yet, but there will be mail and trash collection, and I can order drugs from Amazon. I think I'm going to hold on Amazon until I see if the mail is getting through. Our post office is often erratic. I can't remember how they ship, USPS or Amazon drivers.
Anyway, air quality is still awful, but we can leave the neighborhood without worrying about not getting back in. AQI is at 209.
This is an excellent article about what the fire fighters were up against. The fire fighters were in the left most clump of houses during the time frame of the article. Red dots are houses that were destroyed. We are not on the map, we're a little north and east, and about two miles (as the crow flies) from where it happened. It gives one pause to contemplate the distance.
There have been a couple of essays (what do you call people who write long form on Facebook?) on Facebook about the level of development along Indian Trail. The Spokane City Council has approved a multi family development that will house 300 families just below my neighborhood. That's 600 more cars that will be on a two lane road. Indian Trail was our evacuation route, and for many others. The first time we tried to leave it was gridlocked, we went home and tried again later. If that fire had come up the hill towards Indian Trail, we all would have been incinerated. The over arching theme of what people have been writing about is infrastructure. It does not appear that any thought is being given to moving the traffic that is being caused by untrammeled growth along Indian Trail.
Yesterday we saw fire trucks from California going up our street, Menlo Park and Half Moon Bay. They were up checking for hot spots. They drove all the way down here for this. Fire fighters are good.
That's it! That's all I've got.

No comments:
Post a Comment