We found a new better web site for fire reporting. This is where we were yesterday at the neighbor's house. Look lower right on the photo and find "W Excell Ln." That's our street. Follow it up to the end of the street, See the pink stuff? That's the fire.
It started in Airway Heights, headed north east, jumped the river, and never looked back. Lucky, we are so lucky. 8,300 acres burned in this fire.
This neighborhood was spared. Others were not so lucky. It's interesting how they were encircled and survived. Fire is weird.
As of this writing (9:38 am 8/3/26), we are still under level three evacuation. The power is still out. Avista has assigned a crew to us, but the extent of the damage to infrastructure is not known. I'm guessing Level three will persist until power is restored, there are lines down. We have a refrigerator full of deteriorating food. What is not known is whether or not the trash guys will be collecting on Wednesday
By the time we left the hotel and drove home to get more clothes, the power was on. So, we got back in the car and returned to Spokane Valley to pick up our stuff. All the meat in the freezer is toast, as are the french fries. I'm keeping the egg bites and the frozen ravioli, they got a little soft, but they're not frozen in the grocery store, so hopefully we'll live. Jim has returned from the grocery store with a bag of ice. So life is better.
We're still at level three, but people around us appear to be moving back in, so there are too many of us for the police to yell at.



This is like the volcano that completely circumvented that guys house in Hawaii He chalked it up to living a good life...WOW you have been lucky so far! The smoke is highly toxic, it has been recommend to not move back in until testing by professionals has been done. That is down the line though, stay safe where you are- the situation in Spokane is dire! as you are aware. Good thing you have another house to go to. Thinking of you both with fingers crossed.
ReplyDeleteSounds like they caught the arson bastard!
DeleteI'm glad your house survived, and you two as well:) Fire is weird and scary for sure.
ReplyDeleteOMG, I didn't know you were under Evacuation, but so glad your House survived the Fires, tho' it is unpredictable, Scary, and you never know if it will rear up again after being put out, it's Alive, so Killing it isn't always so easy. So sorry you lost so much of your Food, and rotting Food is yucky to have to deal with and dispose of... getting the odor out of the Fridge, etcetera. Keep us informed okay? Big Virtual Hugs. We got a lot of Fires going on in Arizona too, seems sometimes that the World is on Fire!!!
ReplyDeleteI feel for you. My house and I survived a wildfire in 2012 that came within 20 feet of my fence. Be alert for tremendous flooding in places where it's never been - even after small rains.
ReplyDeleteThat had not even crossed my mind, but you are right about that!
DeleteFuck, Allison! I just now saw this and have aught up. I don't know why I wasn't getting current notifications. I'm so glad y'all are fine and that your house and neighborhood was spared but how scary!
ReplyDeleteI am glad to hear you and Jim are okay.
ReplyDeleteThings will not be normal for a while.
Smoky air is dangerous and I am glad you are taking precautions.
Take care Allison and Jim.
Yipes, that was an incredibly close call. Was this the fire that they've now arrested an asshole for arson? Do be careful about the toxic smoke that likely remains. Losing some food sucks, but it could have been so much worse. Really happy for you that you were spared but feel awful for those who weren't. The photos I've seen online of raized neighborhoods are just devastating.
ReplyDeleteGrateful to hear that your property was spared. Fire is weird as you say.
ReplyDeleteTake care and stay safe!
Take care!
ReplyDeleteThat little untouched island blows my mind. Be awfully careful of that smoke. That can cause all sorts of lung issues.
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad to hear your house and immediate neighborhood were spared. I can't imagine being in a fire situation like that. I know it was unpleasant but as you said, you made out incredibly well compared to many. Everything is relative.
ReplyDeleteAllison, it's Suzanne here... (from the vintage take to the highway blog.). I am currently in Montenegro, and Intentionally taking a break from the news. I just now saw Spokane was on fire. I raced over to check Jim's Facebook page 1st, but there is no update there, So I had to hunt up the blog address. I'm sorry it took a catastrophe for me to come over to say hello. What a relief to learn you guys are OK. I am so sad this is happening to my favorite state. I hope the air clears quickly, and you two are soon back on the track!
ReplyDelete