Monday, March 4, 2024

An Article Dump

I have read much recently, links and stuff that I want to keep available, and thus it goes in to a post.  You might find some of it interesting as well.

Who thinks about AI?  I do, some of the time.  What I think about a lot is the fact that when developers are "training" their AIs, they're doing it with other peoples' content.  By scraping published or copyrighted content, they're stealing other people's work to make an AI.  Eventually, the AI made with  others' work will put those people out of a job.  On twitter the other day I saw a reference to a product called Nightshade.  It's AI poison, and this is so dang clever, it just hurts me.  This is what it does.

Nightshade works similarly as Glaze, but instead of a defense against style mimicry, it is designed as an offense tool to distort feature representations inside generative AI image models. Like Glaze, Nightshade is computed as a multi-objective optimization that minimizes visible changes to the original image. While human eyes see a shaded image that is largely unchanged from the original, the AI model sees a dramatically different composition in the image. For example, human eyes might see a shaded image of a cow in a green field largely unchanged, but an AI model might see a large leather purse lying in the grass. Trained on a sufficient number of shaded images that include a cow, a model will become increasingly convinced cows have nice brown leathery handles and smooth side pockets with a zipper, and perhaps a lovely brand logo. 

The article is here, and they go deeper into the weeds, but currently I'm entranced by the AI believing cows have handles and a logo.

Google's AI, Gemini, has come under fire as of late.  From CBS and others we learn the following. "The new search tool, which the company has touted as revolutionary, came under fire after some users asked it to generate images of people drawn from history, such as German soldiers during World War 2, and popes, who have historically been White and male. Some of Gemini's images portrayed Nazi soldiers as Black and Asian and popes as female." "AI-powered chatbots are also attracting scrutiny for the role they might play in the U.S. elections this fall. A study released on Tuesday found that Gemini and four other widely used AI tools yielded inaccurate election information more than half the time, even steering voters head to polling places that don't exist."  This is not good.  Pichai, one of the Google leaders, is taking considerable heat for all of this.

Marriage is not doing so well in these United States.  Women, who often as not, work full time and yet are expected to keep the house, make the food, take out the trash and shoulder the mental load of making sure things run smoothly have had it.  Lyz Lenz published an excerpt of her book, This American Ex-Wife, in the WAPO.  One of the things that sent her over the edge was this.

I shut myself in the bedroom and called my husband.  "Come home,” I sobbed.  He did. He got the kids, and I refused to come out of the bedroom until it was the baby’s bedtime. I simply could not face them. When I did come out, I found my husband had fed the children. There was Chinese takeout waiting for me. This is good, I thought. Maybe he sees. That night, after I put the baby to bed, I scrubbed my daughter’s poop off the carpet. Then my husband told me I needed to get it together. Maybe, he suggested, I should sleep more. And I realized he didn’t see me at all.

What must it be like for her ex-husband.  He's in the book, he's in the excerpted section in the WAPO.  He's referenced in another article that discusses a slew of new books out on divorced women.  This man, as well as other referenced men, is now in print as being self-absorbed and oblivious to the situations of their marriages.  I would find it humiliating.  It would be interesting to see a follow up on how they're doing.  Ms Lenz is doing just fine.  One of her more interesting points is that quite often men don't realize they're about to be left, only when she doesn't come home do they twig to the situation.

And then there is water.  In Arizona, we're frequently thinking about water.  Restoration Cowboy Style recently published a post about the drilling that is going on where they live.  To this day, Arizona does not have a coherent water management plan in place.  Governor Hobbs sent the Saudi farms packing, so they are no longer draining an aquifer, but it still goes on in the state.  Alfalfa and nut trees use too much water.  You know who else uses too much water?  AI training facilities.  Microsoft is cooling their data centers in Goodyear (near Phoenix) with water.  I don't know if they're recycling or not.  Then there is the chip fab being built in Tempe which will also use a ton of water.  This is a desert, why do people treat water like it's an infinite resource?

Who is aware of the ransomware attack against Change Health Care?  Who has ever heard of these people?  This has been going on and today is the first day I've seen any MSM coverage.  Change Health Care is a switch, doctors and pharmacies submit charges, Change Health sends it out for payment, and then remits to the billing party. The ransomware people have encrypted Change Health's data and are holding it ransom for money.  They have also stolen a lot of patient data and put it out on the dark web.

WAPO finally put up an articleHere is something that's not paywalled.  Anyway, this is bad.  People can't fill their prescriptions, the PBMs are impacted, doctors can't bill, patients can't be released from hospital because their prescriptions can't be filled to go home with them.  I follow angrypharmacist on twitter, he also has long form writing.  This piece is worth reading, I will warn you that he uses  language that some people will find objectionable, but it captures the situation very well.

Century Link is sending out technician number four tomorrow.  The will require us to be home the entire day and wait for arrival.  Thus far I have remained pleasant to the techs, but tomorrow I may have to deploy my tone of exasperation to express how much this is pissing me off.  I have a new phone cable, a new modem, and a new phone cable wall plate.  Since all the local stuff is new, perhaps they could go to the DSL switch in the office and jiggle some wires there.

Ok, internet is down again, I'm publishing as soon as it comes back up, so sorry about any undiscovered typos.  I'll get them later.

7 comments:

  1. AI frightens me, as does most new technology. I worry about the ability of people to use it for nefarious reasons, especially those that impact our democracies.
    I think, by this point, if the internet access isn't fixed, I'd be tearing out the equipment and heading to their office to tell them where to put it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do not be aware, do not buy into the scheme- it is a trap!
    Bulldozed by tech- "they "said it would happen- slaves to it now, I suppose we could move off grid where water perks - the garden provides abundantly and we have an impenetrable fence surrounding our modest homestead. Too late, you say? Probably. It is so frustrating, slaves to tech...ridiculous in London! Russians may be on to something- nuking satellites that feed us.
    Water in the dessert- THAT is a big deal! Fewer humans will live there , the desert may heal if there is enough future for that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Humans are stupid. and AI is dangerous. thanks to AI, pictures of Trump with all his black supporters is flooding social media. all fake. he wants the black vote so badly his campaign has produced these images to convince him or black people or both. hopefully black voters will remember that Trump is a racist who hates black people.
    I'm not surprised women are eschewing marriage. marriage has always been for the benefit of men and now that women can be self sufficient there is little to attract them to the institution. unless they find a man willing to be an equal partner.
    you know what else uses a lot of water in the desert? golf courses and those mist sprayers restaurants use for outdoor seating. and still they are building large housing communities. where do they think the water is going to come from?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The school where I work keeps trying to get us interested in AI, encouraging us to explore all the ways it can be used in teaching (and how it might be improperly used). They're trying to get ahead of it, I get that, but I find it incredibly scary.

    I saved that Lyz Lenz article to read later, as well as the Change healthcare article. I hadn't heard of either of those. (I subscribe to the Post but I don't read it every day!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK, I read the Lyz Lenz article. Very interesting, and I certainly understand her frustration. For one thing, it sounds like she and her husband were ultimately unable to communicate effectively, despite all their therapy.

      The part I found most interesting was the idea that marriage, while prescribed as a cure-all by Republicans and pro-family types, isn't truly an option for many people: "Keep in mind that even if people marry, it is hard to stay married when, for instance, the state is more likely to incarcerate Black women and Black men, and social services are more likely to get involved in their children’s lives. Today, nearly half of all Black women have never married. That’s compared with roughly 30 percent of all American women. Michael Warner summed it up perfectly in his book 'The Trouble With Normal' when he called marriage 'nothing if not a program for privilege.' Marriage, simply put, can’t be the solution to societal ills, because it isn’t accessible to all people in our society."

      Delete
  5. Wow, a brim packing post. I suppose I should be more excited by AI; at this point I usually find it stupid. Women not marrying is a topic I can relate to. I married in 1965 and by 1974 was fed to the gills by caring for three children, not the two I'd birthed. I sent him packing and never visited the institution again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do feel you on the internet problems. We have a different problem. We chose to live relatively rural so as to enjoy living in the woods fairly far from noisy neighbors. Because of this, our internet options are very limited (cellular, satellite, and DSL, but the latter would be expensive since we don't have any any actual telephone wires back here in the woods). We chose T-Mobile cellular internet, which, on a good day is fine, but on a bad day (weather, I guess, or network traffic related), we might only get 1M download speed...yes, I said 1 Mbps, and that is in the good old US of A, just miles from places like UNC and Duke Universities. All around us, fiber optic cabling is being put down, but for some reason unknown to seemingly everyone, our road is left out of it. I have been corresponding with a county commissioner about this but am still waiting for definitive answers. This is just crazy; we have had better internet in much more remote places than this when traveling. Hell, we even had 2M download speeds in Belize, in 2011! I hope you can get yours dealt with soon - I am behind on blogs, so this may already be a thing of the past, I hope!

    ReplyDelete