Saturday, December 23, 2023

Rain and RSV

Today is day TWO of rain.  Yesterday it rained like heck all day, really rained, heavy crazy rain.  Today there were a few sun breaks, but looking out to the south west, one can see ominous skies.  With any luck, tomorrow will be better.  I think the days of temperatures in the 70s are over.  It is, after all, winter.  Behold, a sun break.

Thursday I did a ride alone, since Jim is beached.  It was the last good day.  It was a good day, warm and not a lot of wind.  These are new apartments being built on the other side of the Santa Cruz river.  They're in the midst of a giant retail clot.  Spectrum, with Home Depot, Target and Food City, was the first commercial clot.  Now commerce has spread to the other side of Irvington, and there is a Planet Fitness, and a Sprouts Market and other smaller businesses.

It was an interesting choice to put a Sprouts in the south end.  We're in an economically disadvantaged area.  The Food City grocery store caters to the Hispanic population, signage is in Spanish, and they sell things that anglo stores don't carry.  I will add that their stores smell wonderful.  There is also a Cardenas, which recently came here from California.  Sprouts is like Whole Foods.  Produce is organic, meat is grass fed, chickens are free range organic, and it's all priced accordingly.  This particular offering struck me as out there.

 
How hard is it to bake two or three sweet potatoes, peel them, and then apply a potato masher to them?  $6.99 seems awfully expensive for this, in any store, in any socio-economic strata.  I hope Sprouts can make a go of it, nothing would please me more than to quit shopping at Safeway, where prices are high and quality is low in the produce department.

Yesterday we got the RSV vaccine.  Out of all the recent immunizations (Shingrex, TDAP, Covid and Flu) we've had recently, that one hurt the most going in.  Jim had a terrible headache last night, mine was not terrible but I was aware of it.  Today it hurts to reach over our heads.  Anyway, I'm glad we did it.  Hospitalizations of the elderly due to RSV are significantly higher than in previous winters.  One of the guys I follow on Twitter was sick three weeks with it, and the pharmacist at Costco reported that he'd had it and it kicked his butt.  So, we finally did something about it.  Medicare Part D will pay for it.

Other than this, I have nothing else of interest to tell you.


9 comments:

  1. I got the RSV and flu vaccine at the same time which was a mistake. I wasn't sick but one of them (probably the RSV) hit me harder than I'm used to. Mostly a very sore arm for quite a long time. My older daughter and 1 year old grandson had it a few years ago and it kicked their butts so I was happy to get the shot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the vaccine and knew it the next day. Then I was fine again.
    We have mashed sweet potatoes often for dinner, and they are a universal favorite. I don't know how that factoid applies to this product in a challenged socio-economic area.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got all my vaccines about a week apart. Also got Whooping
    Cough one before I went to see my grandson. Sprouts is definitely more expensive so my budget doesn't go to that store.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got all my vaccines about a week apart. Also got Whooping
    Cough one before I went to see my grandson. Sprouts is definitely more expensive so my budget doesn't go to that store.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want a Whole Foods to finally be built in West Metro Phoenix, but, Thankfully we have some great Food City and Ranch Market locations nearby. I agree, certain big Chains are quite demographic in where they will build and do business. It's raining and cold now here too, a shift, we'd been enjoying an unseasonably Mild sublime Winter... but, the Monsoons never came when they should, so no complaints that the Rains finally came, the Desert Smiles when we get that Liquid Gold.

    ReplyDelete
  6. my husband got the flu vaccine, the RSV, and covid all at the same time with little to no effect. I just got the covid but I'm considering RSV. I think the next one I get will be for shingles.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, at least all the rain will bring desert flowers in spring -- hopefully! Good on you for getting the vaccines. I think I had RSV last winter, though I never had a test. I agree about the sweet potatoes -- what is wrong with people that they can't boil and mash a potato?! "Convenience foods" have gotten crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Goodness, that's a ridiculous price. Especially for something so simple to make at home.
    Hope Jim is feeling better. Merry Christmas to you both!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That RSV shot is the one I haven't had yet. I better get busy and schedule it. We only had one day of rain here but, the next days was still gray and dark.

    ReplyDelete