Saturday, March 4, 2023

Vintage Tools and a Hike

Things are not as dire, comfort-wise, as they were.  Yes, I do know these are first world problems that I record, but this blog is also my aide de memoir; otherwise the past becomes indistinct and murky.  The wonderful recliner I had in condo #1 was delivered here so there is better seating, and a large squashy pillow discovered in the third bedroom has made the wretched couch more tolerable.

Yesterday I was spelunking in the kitchen drawers looking for a can opener.  I would add can opener to my list of things to take to an AirBnB based on what I found.  These are amusing, more so since I did bring a can opener.  The larger item is a can opener.  One of its handles is a beer can opener.  I've never seen one of these before.

Here is a larger image of the item on the bottom.  Who knows what this is?  I could deduce that it might open a can, but couldn't see how.  It's a Vaughan Safety Roll Jr.  It's a clever thing.  There is a youtube which you can find here which demonstrates how to use it.  They're from the 1950s.

We went for a walk in the neighborhood yesterday.  Mesquites are everywhere.  They're huge trees and many people have them in their entry way courtyards.  I do not understand why a person would do that.  Many have been brutally pruned to keep branches from hitting the house.  Then there are the tiny leaves that drop.  In places there are drifts of dead tiny leaves.  


People and their landscaping choices are so interesting.

I took this Thursday, late afternoon.  It's so cool how the setting sun lights up the mountains.

This afternoon we went out to Dove Mountain to walk the left side (going out) of the Lower Javelina trail.  It was just a glorious day.  Temperatures were approaching 70, the sun was out and the winds were not howling.  We still have the blue winter sky in residence.

The night before it snowed, we had some really high winds.  Many Palo Verdes have broken branches, chollas are uprooted, and this giant of the desert has fallen over.  He was over 100 years old.  It hurts my heart to see Saguaros go over like this.



So, that's it.  That's all I have to report at present.


8 comments:

  1. I'm old enough to know that can opener. You could still buy them in the sixties. I agree with you about the old saguaros go down. The next hundred years will be harder for them, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We still have both of those can openers- they are great for camping.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 37paddington;
    Ha! That can opener bring back memories. I still had and used that thing till about for years ago, when I caved and bought a fancy can opener I wouldn’t have to fight with anymore. that’s the can opener I grew up with and it took a long time to occur to me that there might be better more updated designs. I think it’s fine to record our first world problems. They are real in the moment, and though I always feel like apologizing when I wax on about my own, I’m always interested to read what others are dealing with day to day, it’s real life, you know? We’re not in Ukraine or Turkey right now, and that makes us lucky. But we still confront our inconveniences and it doesn’t make us any less grateful for our good fortune to examine whatever’s sucking up our psychic energy in the moment. It helps us move past it in fact. Or at least, it helps me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The sun set photo is stunning. It makes up for some of the inconveniences.
    I've never seen a can opener like the small one, and I thought my mom's kitchen ware was mostly from the 50's and 60's. Though I do remember when she bought an electronic one in the 70's. :)
    Enjoy the lovely weather!

    ReplyDelete
  5. such a beautiful environment. I've had a can opener like the big one but without the beer can part. I still use and prefer a manual can opener (I've had an electric one). I guess you could be glad they didn't provide just a P-38 for opening cans.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you got your recliner. Bizarre can openers! I wouldn't have known what that second one was. Too bad about the cactus, but at least it was felled by nature rather than a bulldozer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. People landscape with Mesquite and Palo Verde because both are drought tolerant and give fast shade. My Parents had one of those tiny 1950 Style Can Openers... Dawn the Bohemian

    ReplyDelete
  8. That can opener is exactly like the one my parents had when I was growing up. I haven't seen one in ages.
    That sunset on the mountains photo is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete