Thursday, March 9, 2023

Sunglasses and a Near Miss

 It was nice today, we drove down to the Rillito race track and parked there.  Then we rode up towards U of A where it is spring break.  It's wonderful, there are no people to avoid. This past weekend was the Tucson Festival of Books.  It was over Sunday, and they are still taking down the tents.


Those yellow things that connect to the straps on the tent are buckets of cement.  This is quite the event, it takes a lot of effort to put up the tents, get the authors in, staff the panels and all of that.

When we left the U I had a blinding headache.  It kept getting worse.  About half way back going to the car, I stopped and took off my sunglasses and discovered that the cushy, comfortable, wonderful nose piece had disintegrated.  I've been wearing those sunglasses since 2006.  I do have another pair, in Spokane, that I got at the same time from Ebay.  Needless to say, Oakley doesn't make this model anymore.  It's like losing a friend.  Once I got the glasses off, the headache went away.  So that was bad.

THEN, when we were in the car to go home, we got the left turn arrow and Jim started to move forward into the turn.  I started screaming stop, which understandably baffled Jim, since we had the arrow.  He slammed on the brakes and avoided hitting the cyclist just off the left front fender.  Given the angle, Jim could not see him through the windshield frame.  The guy had run a red light, on a bicycle, at what is an already dangerous intersection.  I can't believe he did that.  He had a red light, why would he go trucking out into the intersection?  Anyway, we did not hit him, nor did he apologize for almost putting us in the position of having hit him.  After making the turn, we had to pull over and take a minute.

So, all told, it was a suboptimal day.

Other than this, I have diddly to say.

Update to post 7/23/2023.

This is what happened to the nose piece. It split down the middle, the hard part that slid into the frame, separated from the soft piece that sits on your nose.  The soft part is at the top of the photo, the other piece is the one that held the frame.



It's weird how it just ripped up the middle.  Anyway, I have the other pair, and hopefully I'll get a few decades out of them.

4 comments:

  1. Yikes! The close call with the bicyclist was scary! I bet you could get the nose piece on the sunglasses repaired. Maybe take them to an optician, or look online for Oakley repair options? (I'm not telling you anything you don't already know! LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  2. In an accident with a vehicle, the bicyclist never wins. What an idjit!
    Glad you figured out what was causing the headache and hope you're able to find a reliable replacement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ditto the comment above. Once I had to pull too close to a cyclist (but not into him) not paying attention to avoid a child who ran into the road. The cyclist was not paying attention. He repaid me by pounding on my VW roof and leaving a couple of dents plus plenty of remarks. I managed a FU before he sped off and nearly hit the child who was just clearing the front of my car.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am cycling in Majorca at the minute - I saw a similar situation yesterday where a very nasty accident was narrowly avoided. I love cycling but some riders have very poor road awareness.

    ReplyDelete