Saturday, May 28, 2022

Paint and Plants

What's new in your neck of the woods, other than the weekly massacre with guns, or Russia's perfidy and malfeasance.  Then there is climate change, fires raging over 500 square miles in New Mexico which appear to have been started by controlled burns done by the Forest Service, and all the usual signs of a planet going off the rails.  But enough of that - I have a few photos. 

This was taken May 19, it's been sitting in my email, waiting for me to upload it.  Pretty cool sky.


We hiked up the big hill the other day, which was Monday.  It's good that the dates are on the pictures, or I would never know what happened when.  The weather was iffy, as to whether it would rain.


This is the first time since last fall that Jim and I have been outside in shorts.  It was marginal, but we were determined not to hike in long pants.


Later there was a decent sunset.


Thursday it hit 70F.  First time this year!  This is one of the latest first 70 degree days ever.  It's been an abysmal spring.  So what did we do to celebrate this wonderful event?  We started painting the garage.  Of course we did!  Here is Jim on the ladder, wearing ancient shorts.

The next day we had to take the big car in for a new battery, we're not driving it enough.  The dealer wants to install a battery tender, also known as a float charger, but it's $175 for parts and labor.  That seems like a lot.  I think we'll drive it more.

Last night the setting sun was lighting up the trees.  We haven't seen this before, it will be interesting to see how long that sticks around.  Look at the tree glow on the right side.

Today we were back at it, finishing up the painting.  Jim is wearing a hat because it's cold in the garage.  I ended up in a sweatshirt and the fuzzy mandalorian pants.  Summer can not come soon enough.  Notice that Jim is in jeans.


The baby quail have hatched.  The neighbors came over to tell us they're out.  We'll have to keep an eye on the window wells.  If the chicks fall in there, a human must come and get them out until they can fly.  We looked at their back yard, which is an amazing example of horticulture, terracing and building of retaining walls.  They love doing it, so hats off to them.   This is one of their succulents in the back yard.  It's an amazing specimen.


Note the alligator in the pond.

Coming back to our house we got a good look at the maple tree.  This tree has been topped twice by the previous owner.  It's not a happy tree.  Last year we cut it back some and then felt bad about it.  This year we have resolved to no longer torture the tree.  However, we've noticed that the branches that used to be in the vertical are now flopped over.  I have no idea what to do with it now.  Actually, nothing can be done until fall and the leaves have dropped.  Aaargh.

Other than painting, not much is happening.  The geraniums are still sulking because they are cold.


10 comments:

  1. Well, you have beautiful sunsets. That maple tree must be beautiful in the fall when the leaves turn color. At least painting is useful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though we are looking at above 100 Temps here, I still 9refer that to the cold. I just wish we could get some rain. My friend and I were talking about not driving the cars often enuf to keep the battery happy. So I made an effort to get out this week. Having a mammogram helped get me moving. I hate the news. It makes me so sad. I love your neighbors plant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the sunset on the trees. Our weather on the west side is gradually warming into the 60s but with quite a bit of rain today. Hopefully the week will be better. Like you, I want to get outdoors and do some hiking/biking--but not when the weather is miserable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For people who hate to paint as much as you say you do, you sure do a lot of it.

    I'd leave the maple alone. Perhaps the upper branches will lift up again, could be wind just blew them over, when they get a little sturdier.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are wishing for some warm weather...but our rivers are running low already.
    We are working on my workshop slowly, and trying to get out for exercise every day. Even walking if it's not good for the bikes

    ReplyDelete
  6. That succulent is making me want it! I usually approach a "wait and see" attitude with plants or trees that look sad. The sunset on the side of my mountain is beautiful here as well

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd leave the maple alone for a couple more years. It probably will send branches up. I had a maple once that literally grew sideways to get to the light, down in the little woods. The obstructing tree had to be removed and the maple sent branches up, although the curved over top never has risen.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice skies! I have no hints on the maple, unfortunately. Hope those baby quail stay away from the window wells!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My goodness, there seems to be no end to the painting. I know well enough that it is worth it when finished but it sure takes a long time.

    The glow on the trees is so pretty! Hope the warm weather arrives soon. I'm still waiting too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We had been having a cool and damp spring too, here in NC, until we weren't. Now it is suddenly summer, with the heat and humidity I forgot I hated. There were a few days in between that were perfect, but far too few. I went from sweaters and jackets to tank tops in like two weeks. I feel for you, though. A forever winter gets very old! At least you have glorious sunsets. And paint. There's always paint. ;-)

    ReplyDelete