Wednesday, March 17, 2021

St. Patrick's Day

Greetings Earthlings.  How are you in this time of republican perfidy and malfeasance?  The voter suppression force is strong in them.  They should all catch some dread disease.  Did you know that 25% of  the members of the House are not vaccinated?  One wonders if stupid is self-limiting.  Anyway, enough of that.  In sporting news, the Kiwis beat the Italians in the America's Cup.  The New Zealand boat was just wicked fast.

There has been hiking and biking.  Here, once again, is my favorite church.

Cacti are amazing.  These three are growing up out of the rocks.  How do they force their way up through the rubble?

This is a different type of cactus also growing up out of the rock pile.

Tucson is in a caldera.  There are a lot of rocks in the area.  These are the flat rocks that someone has used to make this structure.  It's not on a trail, so it's not actually a cairn.

A Palo Verde tree.

The last time we were at Costco we bought a pack of pork chops.  The two on the top were really good looking, with a nicely developed tenderloin.  The rest can only be described as mystery cuts.  Since pork is so lean, it doesn't grill well anymore.  We've given up on that.  The other thing we got at Costco was a 35 ounce can of peeled tomatoes.  So, we mushed the tomatoes into mush, cut up some vegetables, and then simmered the pork chops in tomato sauce for three hours.  It was actually pretty good.  Put enough garlic in it, and just about anything will be good.  That was our adventure in off-recipe cooking for the week.

We were looking at old photos this past week.  When we first moved here there was a thought of putting them in photo albums, but after two years it's pretty obvious  they're going to live in the storage box.  Here are three of them.  This two are from WWII.  Jim's Dad was in Europe.  I don't know if he took these or not.  There's no history attached to the images.  The slanting light is what catches my eye in this one.

Not sure where this was taken, other than near water.

Jim's long ago relatives who we can not identify.  The dresses look so dang uncomfortable.


Other than this, I have zippity doo dah all to say.



9 comments:

  1. I think that Kiwi boat went so fast is because there was a team of 5 million New Zealanders wishing it to go just that little bit quicker.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AGAIN i will say, i love where you live! I think i could call that area home...beautiful! The old photos are treasure my god! WW2 shots are tear making. Those young men's faces...slanting sunlight. wow.
    Those stiff dresses did not make the women look very happy...Even the baby is a bit concerned.

    ReplyDelete
  3. None of those people in the last photo seem very happy, do they?! Severity was the look back then, I suppose.

    Does a cairn have to be on a trail? I think any deliberately placed pile of stones is a cairn, regardless of location, isn't it?

    As for the no-vaxxers, I feel no obligation to continue going out of my way to keep them safe. At some point we ARE going to stop masking and distancing, and when that happens, if they catch it from me because I'm resistant and don't know I'm passing it along, I'm not going to feel bad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think smiling in pictures for our ancestors must have been outlawed. Some times change is good. My dad didn't come home with many pictures from WWII so yours are amazing. I agree with Steve. I am not going to feel guilty if anti vaxxers end up sick. I haven't grown a third eye yet from the vaccine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you think it's possible that the last photo is one in which the baby might have passed from this world and be propped up for the photo? The adults look so sad, with each woman dressed in mourning. Photography was still fairly new and expensive in the Victorian era. Taking a photograph of the entire family was not uncommon when someone died. It was a way to memorialize and remember the loved one, and to have a visual record of the person. Read about the practice at https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-36389581.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No accounting for men in Congress! I wonder how much twisting and turning all those cactus roots took to find dust. A cairn can be a monument, too. Perhaps something is buried underneath. That church is something, though. And totally irreplaceable. I bet those women buttoned each other up in the morning. I wish you knew more about the war pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think, hope, Republicans have miscalculated this time.

    I have a box of old photos too and there they will stay.

    and that church always looks more like a mosque to me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The old lady on the left, she looks like how I feel:)

    I don't understand republicans. It seems so short sighted to allow yourself and your voters to get sick and maybe die. Don't they understand that it reduces their voter base?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your first paragraph had me rolling, you're hilarious!

    ReplyDelete