Monday, July 17, 2023

Weather and Flowers

Again, long time, no write.  I have a few photos but nothing earth shattering to report.

Saturday we rode to the lake.  We generally try to avoid Saturdays due to crowding, but it was a ride day, so we went.  There is nothing like sitting at a picnic table down by the boat ramp to make a person happy to no longer be a boat owner.  When we were working we had a ski boat, and because we were working, has to use it on weekends.  After awhile it ceased to be fun, and we sold the boat.

This is a party boat, also called a patio boat.  People take them out and drive up and down the lake and enjoy each other's company.  I don't know if people fish off of them.

This is the party boat being held next to the boat ramp.  The owner has launched the boat, and driven the tow vehicle and trailer away to park.  It's Saturday morning, right?  Boat ramps are busy.  Common courtesy suggests that you walk your boat around to the other side of the floating dock so that other people can launch while you're waiting for the boat driver.  This boat is engaged in dock blocking.


The party boat is still there, the people with the blue truck are trying to launch and the people with the boat at the end of the dock are doing something ineffectual with their lines.  It's fun to watch, I'm glad we no longer participate.


The hydrangea is turning pink.  It's such a pretty plant.  The bees like it a lot, as well.


Yesterday's sky was interesting.  Today we are under a red flag warning due to high winds and dry conditions.  At the last HOA meeting the urban fire guy gave a talk about living with trees.  Embers can travel for miles, and land on your house.  If you have an unscreened window open, embers can come inside.  He stressed the importance of a 5 foot fire perimeter which should be maintained, including not having gutters full of pine needles.  That's why we do not landscape with bark mulch, we use rocks instead.  He emphasized the importance of having an evacuation plan given that you may not have that much warning to leave.  Our neighborhood is one way in and out, we can count on traffic being bad, so we really do need to give this some thought, which we have not done.


This is from twitter.  It's a lovely photo taken of a dried up desert flower in Monument Valley. Ken James (@openshutter21) took it.  It's highly saturated, but still a pretty image.


That's it, that's all I've got.

OK, one more thing.  Monsoon started today in Tucson.  Click HERE and play the video of how the storm built up.  The footage was taken from the roof of the Hydrology Department at UofA.  It is pretty dang impressive.

8 comments:

  1. I'm thinking the kind of people who would buy and operate a party boat, probably are pretty oblivious to what's going on around them. Maybe a generalization, but it's what I've observed.
    That time lapse photography was amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to enjoy boating on Puget Sound but as you said, it's now very crowded and there are too many drunks and idiots out on the water. Or are they the same thing? It's dry here too but not as hot. I wish we would get a day of rain although I'll pass on a monsoon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, the storm building footage is amazing!
    I've never spend much time on small boats, but it would seem to me that common courtesy should prevail.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just can't be bothered with boating. Too hot, too sunny, too complicated. I'm watching a TV show now about bush fires in Australia (well, it's really a family melodrama, called "Heat") and they're talking about the need for a fire plan. It certainly makes sense to give it some thought!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, we arrived in Spokane just in time for fire season....we call it "the smell of Spokane"! AND just in time for the birth of our little granddaughter on Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. we had a beach house growing up though it was actually on the bay side. we had a ski boat and I did a lot of that when I was a teenager. I also had a little sunfish sailboat that I loved to take out. eventually I grew up, had to have a job, had kids and that was really the end of boat leisure time. pretty hydrangea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed that video. I heard that Tucson had some monsoon activity and my sister in Prescott Valley had some too. We had wind....hot wind and that was all. I'm looking forward to a good monsoon storm.
    I also enjoyed your boat story. It reminded me so much of the people who stop at the very top of the escalator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your hydrangea! We call those boats pontoon boats here in the southeast, but yes, they are party boats for sure. I have never been on one, just never hung out with the type of folks who owned one. I do miss our sailboat occasionally, but not all the work or expense involved with it.

    ReplyDelete