Monday, April 4, 2022

Wind, Plumbing and Evil

It is windy today!  There have been some gusts to 60 mph, causing sporadic power outages.  Our power has stayed on, for which I am very grateful.  We thought about bringing up the camp stove, figuring if we got it out we wouldn't need it.

We spent yesterday replacing the guts of the downstairs toilet.  The floating ball broke off the arm, which caused the tank to flood immediately, sending water everywhere.  The force of the water pressure is very strong here.  We ended up using all the towels in the house to get the water off the floor.   The key learnings from that event were, 1) never ignore the toilet when it starts making funny noises, and 2) watch the youtube video first before doing anything.  Instructions are ok, but they frequently only cover the what, and not the how.  

Other than that, there is not much to say, except for wondering how the Russian conscripts became so evil in their young lives.  As bad as Bucha is, one wonders what will be found in Mariupol.


From Zelensky's address to the Russians:  "How did all this become possible? Russian mothers! Even if you raised looters, how did they also become butchers?"

I will leave you with a much better image.  From @domdyer70 on twitter, "Photographer took the perfect picture of diving kingfisher after six years and 720,000 shots to get it right. Photo: Mario Cea Sanchez."


10 comments:

  1. We had 58 mph gusts the other day. So much fun in a trailer. Sure glad put tie downs on it. I am so heartbroken over the war and the stupidity of it. So many innocent people dead because of a maniac. That picture is incredible. I wouldn't have the patience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO much wind here too. I hate toilets as I'm dealing with a whole bunch of repairs due to an improperly sealed toilet. Ukraine is an unbelievable tragedy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That kingfisher picture is so good I'm skeptical. It seems too good to be true! Bummer about the toilet. I hope the Russian people eventually turn against Putin for this carnage. There are rumbles of that already.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Plumbing is the worst part of home ownership I think.

    I can't even read the news. I just don't understand the brutality with the entire world watching. Is that the aim, to make Russia a global pariah? And to what end. I think I read something about it uniting Russians, if the whole world is against them then they will come together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, the photograph of the kingfisher is amazing!

    What is happening in Ukraine is atrocious and the propaganda being fed to the Russian people is fueling the brutality. I note that at least two other countries are feeding into the Russian rhetoric. I don't see this ending well for anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If ever I was to buy another house it would be one that you had lived in. Everything would work -solid!
    Inland , Russia, brainwashed to believe that , well you know, Trumpism on roids and meth!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Butchers indeed. It makes me sick and angry.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The news is monotonous, story after story of mayhem. The news station here is out of Atlanta, it assures me daily that I do not want to live in a big city! Like you, I wonder at the soldiers who blindly follow the orders of a man who is clearly a monster.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Too long under Authoritarian Rule creates and breeds up Monsters, as Voltaire's quote warns, "Those who can make you Believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." They won't allow anyone into Mariupol becoz then the World will see what they intend for all of Ukraine, and beyond, that Psychopath of a Leader and his followers will not stop at the Genocide of one Nation.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The kingfisher reminds me of my dad's and my attempt to capture a flash of lightening. One roll of 36mm film later, we gave up.
    It's mighty hard to bear the news these days.

    ReplyDelete