Sunday, April 10, 2022

KBJ and Random Stuff

Greetings Earthlings.  How are things with you?  I've had a few days of feeling not great, if this continues I believe I will break out a Covid test.  There has been general malaise, and the dreaded sore throat associated with BA.2.

Last Thursday was a huge day in jurisprudence with the confirmation of Ketanji Brown Jackson.  Despite the despicable behavior of the Republicans, who all, with the exception of Mitt Romney, left the floor immediately after the vote, it was a wonderful thing to see.   Do you not love this photo of her daughter?  Ted Cruz should be so lucky to get that look from his daughters.

Sunset last night.

TDS, the provider of fiber optic in Spokane, is closing in on us.  People have been out squirting paint on the road, the driveways and our neighbor's grass.  Recently they were moving up the street with ground penetrating radar to locate the water mains.



There was a trip to Yoke's and this time I remembered to take my camera with me.  It's a beautiful store, it's new and it's large.  Plus, it smells good.  Their cold cuts vendor is  grave disappointment, however, so food acquisition will probably require trips to Winco, Safeway and Yoke's.  It's not like any of these places are far way, so it's no big deal, but one always hopes for a single supplier.
 



We were driving somewhere, and this guy came up the sidewalk at a high rate of speed, rode into the street, passed a standing line of cars on the right, made a right and then a left.  He scared the living snot out of us because neither one of us caught the motion in the mirrors, and would hate to turn into someone.  He's on an electric unicycle.  I guess they've been around for awhile, but this is the first time we've seen one in Spokane.  Unfortunately, Jim and I are too old for this, they look like fun.

This is an amazing ceremonial first pitch.  Go here to play the video, it's just amazing.  Not only is she graceful, she's got a great arm.

What is it like to live in Russia if you're not an oligarch?  It's sort of like this.  "According to a new report by Russia’s state statistical agency, Rosstat, 35 million Russians live in houses or apartments without indoor toilets, 47 million do not have hot water, 29 million don’t have any running water inside their residences, and 22 million do not have central heating (ehorussia.com/new/node/17679).
In fact, only 62.7 percent of the Russian population has the usual accoutrements of modern existence – water in the house, plumbing, heating and gas or electric ranges, Rosstat says, a fact that must seem incredible to those who visit only Moscow or St. Petersburg but a fact of life for those who lives beyond the ring roads of the capitals."  Apparently the Russian troops that were defiling the homes of Ukranians were shocked at the presence of running water, flush toilets, washing machines and Nutella.  More can be found here

So yeah, let's talk about how the people of Ukraine are "baby Russians."

If you've been following the elections in France, you're aware of the fact that Le Pen is gaining on Macron.  She is an avowed supporter of the orange ectoplasm and Putin.  It seems odd that the French would want her.  Angus linked to an article this morning that touches on the why of this.  It's a fascinating read, and reminds me somewhat of rural America.

That's it!  That's all I've got.

9 comments:

  1. I hope you feel better soon Allison! We just got our second booster but the pharmacist wasn't very positive about it's efficacy. Who knows these days. Get better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you recover soon...pirate is just recovering from BA2..no exercise for ten days...very light for 2-3 months... basically it will be six months before you feel normal again, and you need to be careful for that time, so that you don't trigger long covid. You should get through this easier, as has Pirate, being fit, even though he is nearly 83.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Republicans have zero grace and absolutely no manners. I'm ignoring news and politics these days. Can't do anything about either but vote when the time comes. I would not want to be young in this political and social clime.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you feel better soon. I read a tweet from an MD that said, if you have Covid symptoms, you likely have Covid.

    That's shocking information about the living conditions of the Russian people. We have issues here with clean drinking water in remote areas especially as where on First Nations lands which is sad in itself though there has been much progress since 2015. And then there are slum landlords who fail to repair their properties but I suspect the percentage is much lower than that of Russia.

    What ever happened to non-partisanship? I'm so tired of political parties not working together for the good of the country and the people they serve.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That first pitch of the season was beyond beautiful. Beyond that, Putin is a pig and getting harder to bear.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was certainly an amazing first pitch of the season. One hopes a tree will bite the unicycle before the rider goes splat in front of an innocent car.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a beautiful grocery store. And that kid on the unicycle is kind of scary. I hope you feel better soon and you get the doctor situation sorted out. I hadn't thought about how difficult it might be to find a new doctor if you move.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope by this you’re feeling better, that the sore throat is gone. Was it Covid? Sooner or later it will knock on all our doors. The news doesn’t help the spirit to stay buoyant, but your sunsets sure do.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Allison, I hope you feel better by now and hope that you didn't have COVID. I have been feeling a bit less than great lately but have attributed it to the tremendous amounts of pollen in NC at present and living in a new house with lots of off-gassing of various things, including new furniture we have bought. I have not taken a COVID test. I do need to get my second booster before visiting my mother next month. I felt bad after my second Pfizer and my first booster, Moderna, so I am sure I will feel bad after whatever I get this time, so I will time it so I have nothing to do the next day. I also just got my second Shingrix shot and felt crappy after that too. For me, I get a headache, fever, malaise, aches, all of that, but I guess that is evidence of my immune system at work.

    Yoke's looks like the Wegman's that recently opened in Chapel Hill. It's easy to spend a lot more than one intends there, as so much is enticing, and prices are rather high, except on very basic staples (loss leaders). The produce is very pretty but expensive. Then again, everything seems expensive now.

    ReplyDelete